1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Emerson Lake Palmer.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Captain Chaos, Dec 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 2 years ago I was at an antique shop and found a box with hundreds of vinyls but the album that caught my attention was Tarkus so I bought it for $2. (Should have bought the whole thing....)

Still can't comprehend what I was listening to.

Today I walked into the record store looking for some metal and another album of theirs caught my attention. Brain Salad Surgery. OMG! What am I listening to? This stuff is wild and want more. Makes me want to pickup my P bass and practice just a little bit.

elgecko likes this.
  2. Tarkus and Welcome Back my Friends were the introduction into ELP for me and then Brain Salad Surgery, still among my favorite bands and albums. Great Lp covers and packages for back when those things mattered.

3. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    The 1st ELP, Trilogy, Pictures at an Exhibition, Works 1, and Works 2 albums are also really cool.

tangentmusic and JimK like this.
  4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I was fortunate to have a couple of uncles who gave me albums.
    My 1st ELP album was the cassette to Pictures At An Exhibition. No clue what I had.
    Did receive their debut & Welcome Back... for Xmas '73 (IIRC).

Only recently picked up Brain Salad Surgery for the first time.

5. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I've been listening to ELP since their first album. Great stuff.

My current playlist:

ejsrib.

NealBass and tangentmusic like this.
  6. plav1959

plav1959

May 7, 2016
    Orlando, FL
    No Tarkus? That's one of my favorites.

7. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I'm losing my mind. I have it in my library too. This is what you have to look forward to when you get old :p

24v71fo.

Added.

JimK and tangentmusic like this.
  8. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Brain salad surgery was one of the first albums I bought as a kid. Shaped my musical taste. ELP, Queen and ELO were pretty much all I listened to back then. And the Beatles.

mapleglo and NealBass like this.
  9. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    I too have loved ELP since the early '70's
    Their debut, Trilogy, Pictures, Tarkus and Brain Salad in particular.
    I was fortunate enough to have seen them live in a smallish venue many years ago.

NealBass likes this.
  10. NealBass

NealBass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    Brain Salad Surgery was one of those albums that, as a kid, I would put on the turntable with the arm back, which would repeat the album side. I would put my headphones on and go to bed with it playing. I'd wake up in the morning with that side still playing. How did I sleep with all that rukus? That album was one that first connected me to my Father, musically. One day he heard the song Jerusalem coming from my room. So, he knocked on my door to listen with me. He had sung it in church, every Sunday, back in England when he was a kid. I was thrilled to turn my Dad into an Emerson Lake & Palmer fan! My Mom preferred Alice Cooper...
    Maybe this is why I turned out the way I did!! Blame the parents.;)

JimK, elgecko and tangentmusic like this.
  11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    About 15 years ago when CD box sets were all the rage I bought their set and drove my girlfriend CRAZY listening to it. She was about 11 years younger than me and just didn't get it. But I was enamored.

NealBass likes this.
  12. NealBass

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    To all at TB:

"I wish you a hopeful Christmas
    I wish you a brave New Year
    All anguish, pain and sadness
    Leave your heart and let your road be clear"

JimK, mapleglo and elgecko like this.
  13. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I was introduced to ELP in high school when the percussion ensemble did an arrangement of ELP's Pictures at an Exhibition. I bought the cassette and was blown away. It was definitely "next level" ****!

This year sucked! :atoz:

NealBass likes this.
  14. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

New issue of Bass Player magazine has an interview with Greg Lake.

15. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    This is Greg Lake with Ian Anderson on Flute and the Church Choir performing Father Christmas.

Even I would go to church if they had music like this :p

I used to practice bass to Brain Salad Surgery. It got to a point where I could play the entire 1st Impression of Karn Evil 9.

elgecko and NealBass like this.
  16. NealBass

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    Thanks Nexy! It's nice with the flute and choir. Ian Anderson is such a cool guy, too. I just watched an interview with him. A truly fascinating bloke.
    I would never think to attempt that song on bass. You are a brave woman! Maybe I'll give it a go someday... :nailbiting:.

mapleglo likes this.