Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG 2 or 3 Band EQ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by berklee46, Oct 21, 2004.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Finally got my Mouradian refurbished by Jim M., and while it came out great, I'm not that thrilled with the Bart preamp that was in it when I bought it.

Jim likes the EMG circuit to go along with the Joe Barden pickups and I plan on going that route. I just haven't had much experience with EMG preamps and wonder what you guys prefer, the 2 or 3 band EQ? I'm kind of a midrange nut and want the bass to cut right through (I'm kind of a Wal/Kubicki agressive/cut-through tone fan), but sometimes midrange can be touchy on some preamps and do more damage by adding mud.

Any experience with either the EMG 2 band unit or the 3-band BQS control?

Thanks

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    All of my basses(Spectors) have the BQC system in them and it is very clean and clear. The midrange control is very wide, tons of tone out of it.

The soundclips on the band site(link below) have recordings of my Euro4(EMG P and J) and Euro5(EMG 40CS and 40DC) with that preamp in'em.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I've had both the BTC and BQC, though not at the same time. You can do a search for "experiment" and pull up Dimento's onboard preamp experiment and there's a review and comparsions with NTMB and OBP-3, among others.

I had the variable mid on the OBP-3 as well and prefered the NTMB with the 3 position 250/500/800 mid switch. The variable mids I found to be a pain to find a tone with and return to it. The BQC I had also didn't have center detents on the mid control which made it even more difficult to return to a location. The OBP-3 had seperate stacked frequency controls and seperate mid boost/cut control so there were 3 controls to adjusting it - also a pain. But at least all the controls had detents. But the variable mid is an option with the OBP-3 and can be wired otherwise - which no doubt the BQC can as well but you'd have to figure it out for yourself cause there's no diagrams for that that I know of.

It's been quite a while since I had the BTC but I liked it, that and the NTBT, the OBP-1 I didn't think much of. I had the BTC in a bass with active EMG PJ's and don't recall any frustration over lack of midrange - and I'm a midrange guy.

Used BTC's were going for around $50 on ebay last check so you might try it first and see what you think cause, if for no other reason, that would be the cheapest, simplest route to go - also if you'd need to punch another pothole for the 3 band I'd go 2 band first.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Which bass was used in "triangle'?

Nice playing btw, and i really dig your bands style.

5. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    The 5'er, and thanx!

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Which recordings were with the Euro 4? Id like to hear anything recorded with it, if possible.

(Im really interested in getting one of these basses in 10 months or so.. yea its far away but when you're broke you have to plan ahead.)

7. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Purple Cows was done with the 4, the others with the 5. I will send you a link with some other stuff done with the 4 as well.

8. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    As YODA would say, PM you have, mmmmmm.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thanks.