Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG 35DC - Any users thoughts?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bass, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    I am purchasing 2 EMG-35DCs. Does anyone with a setup like this have any thoughts on the sound? This requires a router to fit in jazz bass slots.

I searched the archive and haven't found anything on this setup (other than EMG-35 DCs are good).

I wonder if a P/J setup (extended series) would be a wiser choice? This is a project bass so I can do pretty near anything.

2. XxBassmanxX

XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    I had 2 EMG DCs before and they sounded really hot and crisp. I didnt really like the sound so i swapped them for a 35P 35J setup and now its much better. I should have gone with a 35P 35DC. IF you are going for that crisp and slicing sound id check out the CS models...they arent quite as harsh.

Joe

3. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Modulus uses a lot of EMG 35DC, 35P, and 35CS pups. Search the board for Modulus threads. BTW, if you need a new 35P, I've got one. ;)

What kind of preamp are you going to use? The extended series pups are active. As far as I know, you'll need an EMG preamp also.

JB

4. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Thanks for the response! I'm on the same track as you: after ordering 2 EMG 35DCs I realized I should have gone with a 35P and 35DC setup. Oh well! The guitar is going to have flames so double DCs will suit.

So yes, JRBrown, I am interested in the 35P. I'd like to swap one in to compare sound. How much?

I didn't give the preamp any thought... I figured it would come with the pickups. What preamp would "go best" with this configuration?

5. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    My guess would be an EMG preamp: WWW.EMGINC.com

I'm asking $80.00 shipped for the pickup. I'm open to offers.