EMG 35DC in a 5 string?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rojo412, Nov 19, 2002.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    So I have this bass... a Warwick Fortress Masterman 5 string. It has a Dual J pickup and I think it's... well... crappy. So I wanted to replace it, but it's an odd size for a 5 string. The EMG 35DC has similar dimensions, but is a 4 string pickup. It would fit in the hole without any trouble and it's recommended string spacing would be fine (though at the extremes of what's recommended). Has anyone ever put one in a 5 string? Will it affect the performance of the low b?

I realize that I could just replace the preamp... but the pickup seems to be microphonic, so I want to do both at once. I am a big fan of EMG and HATE barts, so don't even suggest it. Also, if anyone has a 35DC that they no longer need, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Thanks for any help.
  2. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I'm in the same boat. I have a Streamer Pro M 5 that has that same J/J pisspoor attempt at a MM pickup setup. The bass is perfect in everyway, but the output and lows weakness.

I will eventually be looking for a pup set for it before january, but for now I ordered a Seymour Duncan STC preamp to run for now. I will be contacting Seymour's custom shop to build me a new pup.
  3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    What in the fog were they thinking? Copy of a musicman... but with 2 pickups under one housing and separate controls. :confused:
    I'm going to risk it and try it anyway. The measurements sound like they'll work. I'm gonna throw the BQC in if I can find one.

I was debating on how well a new pre would work. Obviously, I don't want to drill a new hole, but trying anything with just 3 holes is tough, so I figure I should just run it as a single PU EMG setup. Works for Les Claypool...
  4. Colonel_Claypoo

Colonel_Claypoo Steve Harris nut

Oct 24, 2007
    again, can you use an emg 35dc which is a 4-string pickup with a 5-string bass if it fits the cavity?
    i don't know the interior of that pickup but i guess it's more like a blade and not pole pieces right? so it wouldn't matter how many strings run across it.

can anyone confirm this?
  5. chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    They are blades.I have a 35DC in my CT copy. Great pickup. I am surprised you don't dig the Masterman. :confused:

The 4 string was one of the best basses I have owned. I loved that thing. Well, if you are not happy with the 5'er, I would be willing to take it off your hands...:bassist:

Good luck with the mod.
  6. Colonel_Claypoo

Colonel_Claypoo Steve Harris nut

Oct 24, 2007
    i assume you're talking about a 4-banger?
    do you think the 35dc can be used with five strings with narrow spacing?