1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG 35dc, just a question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by marellio, May 29, 2007.

1. marellio

marellio

Apr 18, 2007
    Alright, i play a Spector 4 string legend, with standard emg hz pickups...im looking to add on some emg 35dc pickups...am i going to notice a huge change in sound? my bass just doesnt sound all that good right now, im guessing its the sh**y pickups.

2. lowmid1

lowmid1 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I really don't think that the HZ's are bad pickups. They are just EMG's passive pickup line. Maybe you just prefer the sound of their active pickups. The DC's run at 18 volts are very powerful pickups.

3. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    I had EMG DC-35's and liked them. I can't compare to the HZ though, never tried those.

4. MohawkHarry

MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    I have done the upgrade and would add the EMG BQC system with the upgrade. I liked the HZ's and love the 35DC 35CS combo I installed.
    I have one spector with the BQC and the other with a BTS system the BQC gives you a mid control on a split shaft and I find it very usefull. Both have the 18v conversion but will run on 9v.
    I put the 35CS in the bridge and the DC in the neck, if I could do it over again I would just run two DC's there is a noticable output level drop off rolling the blend into the CS so it's not as hot as the DC.
    Very quiet no hiss, hum or anything tons of punch and growl. My HZ's with the old tonepump use to pickup airplane radio's when plugged into a G-K head.

5. lowmid1

lowmid1 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    How much of a difference in output is there betwen the CS and DC? I was looking at the specs and they should be the same but if not, that could definitely alter my mod. plans!
    http://www.emginc.com/downloads/wiringdiagrams/PJ_models.pdf

6. MohawkHarry

MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    If I had a way to measure it I would, but it reminds me of the difference between a P and J on a passive bass. Probably 5% I think it may have to do with the narrow tone spectrum of the CS it sounds like alot of bass and mids are being cut.
    This could be why Spector uses two DC's in thier US models.
    You might also give a thought at the TW I haven't tryed one yet but it looks to be a very usefull pickup.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021