1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG 35dcx or csx any compairisons?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gpx1200, Oct 7, 2013.

1. gpx1200

gpx1200 Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2013
    spencer mass
    i'm changing out the passive emgs in my spector rebop for some new active ones and I can't decide what to use for the neck position. I already have a 35 twx for the bridge but I don't have space for another switch so I can't use another tw unless I sacrifice the blend pot for two volume push pulls or add a switch and I don't want to do either of those. ive been waiting for the 35px to come back in stock for months so i'm moving on to a second choice.
    i'm thiking either a dcx or csx humbucker but i'm undecided, I think the cs (ceramic/steel) is supposed to be warmer and fater while the dc is supposed to have cleaner/brighter highs but I have not had the chance to hear them for myself, i'm pretty shure my rebop has passive dc's but i'm not shure.
    anyone have any personal experience with bolth of these pickups they could pass on to help me compare the two?

2. Brian Crawford

Brian Crawford

Aug 9, 2009
    Nap_town
    Wow this is almost the same thing I just asked about. My question was which out of the 35dc and 35cs would go better with a mmtw since it right now is paired with a 35p4 and I don't care for it. Well if I get a answer I will let you know what I hear and if you could do the same that would be well appreciated.

3. geekgirl911

geekgirl911

Apr 8, 2014
    I am in the same shoes right now. I want to upgrade my Schecter Elite 4 (using EMG HZ as factory de"fault").
    I read a post a bassist who did the upgrade using DCX as bridge pickup and SCX as neck
    one. I know that DCX is more growl-y and SCX more traditional (what a heck that means) by the factory catalog but I just wonder how that sounds like (specially when it mixed).

4. Sorry for the forum necromancy, but came across this while googling. I've got a bass with an EMG 40P5-X and an EMG 40CSX. I nearly went with the 40DCX, but my research revealed it wasn't at all intended to be a bridge pickup. Too brittle and sharp, it falls more along the lines of a split P pickup, but some say it's snappier. Little midrange. I decided to go with the P5-X for the neck, for the punch. I then had to find the bridge pickup- and I was looking for something like a P/J combo.

The CSX, after some research, seemed to fit the bill- had a good midrange in addition to the highs and lows of the DCX. I went ahead and got it. I couldn't be happier. It sounds similar to my passive Jazz bass, but even warmer. When I solo the pup and play close to the fretboard, it almost sounds like an upright. Between the two pickups, my bass has a massive tonal range. If you spot a bass with the pup in a shop, give it a try. I bet you'll really like it.

5. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Seconded. The Panther uses a 35CSX at the bridge. Huge tone, lots of crispy top end, full midrange, and solid lows. Don't be fooled by EMG's marketing spiel about it having a "warmer, more traditional" sound. Those adjectives may be true when compared against the DCX, but the CSX is no mushy wimp - it has plenty of bite!