Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG 40-TW question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sonorous, May 8, 2005.

1. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    These particular pickups can be switched from single coil to dual coil, right? How?

I was considering buying a pair to put in my bass, in addition to an EMG preamp. However, none of the EMG onboard preamps have a push/pull style knob that would switch the pickups.

So what do you do?

2. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Bumple.

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    The EMG TWs ship with the pots prewired push/pull to switch between single and dual coil mode. I don't know why there is no product sheet available for it on the EMG site as yet. It's basically the same principle as the EMG 89 pickup for guitar. I have one of those in my Lado, but the switch was wired to the tone pot for some reason. I had it disconnected and had a toggle switch installed. We'll see what happens once I finally receive it, if ever...

4. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    So if I were to get two TWs and a preamp, both of which come prewired but seperate, I have to remove the volume pot that comes with the preamp (The BTS is what I have in mind) and then wire the push/pull pot that came with the pickup in its place?

Also, how would the Quik-Connect feature work with connecting two pickups to one preamp?

5. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Okay, the pickups ship with a volume and tone pot, 25K value. You don't have to use the tone pot. The push pull pot for the TW would likely be the volume pot. The BTS only ships with the Bass and Treble knobs, so you wouldn't have an issue there.

As far as wiring goes, if you're unable to find an appropriate diagram included with the 40TW or the BTS, you could contact EMG and they'll send you one.

6. catdriver

catdriver

Apr 19, 2005
    Park City UT
    look at the controls section of the EMG site if you haven't already, I believe that there is a control harness that will do what you want. It's separate of course...... I was looking a t 40 series for a project awhile back and part of the attraction was the "plug & play" wiring harnesses, that made it look really easy to configure thing differently...... I have been told by my local luthier that it's not quite as simple as they mke it seem but pretty close.

7. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    The plug and play system works well...as long as you you're using the same series of extended range EMG pickups. The TW series use a 7 pin connector, the HZs use a 5 pin connector, and the J, P, P5, DC, and CS pickups use a 3 pin connector. If you change the number of pins by going from one set of pickups to another, then you'll have to do some rewiring.

8. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Ok. Since I'd be buying two of the TWs, I actually end up with two volume pots and two tone pots then? Because each TW is packaged with one of each, but the TW packages themselves are seperate?

And all I would do is wire the BTS knobs to where they go with the volume knob, then connect the 7-pin connecter to the connecter on the pickups?

What about the blend knob? Is that also seperate?