1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG 40CS In The Neck Position?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by antonkotmusic, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Hi everyone

This is my first post on TalkBass.com. Hopefully I can get some answers here!

I've got three basses with EMG 40DCs in both the bridge and neck position, but recently started thinking about putting a 40CS in the neck positions.

Do any of you have any experience with the 40DC and 40CS setup? I've watched a few videos and read a few things online, but still looking to get some insight.

I use just an ABC Balance Control and a master volume with the balance typically right in the middle, both on, if that helps?!

Any experience, advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Apologies if this subject has been covered multiple times!

Thanks for reading and stay safe!

2. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    On my Ibby SRA305 I have a 45CS in the neck position and a 45JX in the bridge position. This was my main gigging bass until my pinky started curving and I went to a 33-inch scale Ibby BTB845V for comfort. I really like the breadth, depth and contrast of tone these two pickups have. I played mostly on the CS, and my sound man really liked the even tone with presence, no noise, and found it really easy to slot it in the mix.

On my SRA305, the bridge pickup rout is really too close to the bridge, so I had to flip the JX around so the coil stack would be where the '60's pickup pickup position is, instead of being even closer to the bridge than the '70's position is, losing tone. But when I did, great tone.

Since the DC is a dual coil, as is the CS, bridge pickup placement should not be a critical factor, as it was originally designed as the EMG active version of a MusicMan in a soapbar configuration. I tried a DC when deciding on pickups, and it is a great pickup, but I decided I liked the tone of the JX in the bridge better for the contrast of tone to the CS.

Since the CS is so round and deep in tone, but still retaining good presence, it probably should not be any farther upstream near the neck than the traditional P-pickup placement. I have compared it to an EMG soapbar P, and the soapbar P to my ears had more mids and less breadth of tone.

I thought about the CSX, but to me having the extended high end really defeated the purpose of having a big, round toned pickup as the cornerstone of the foundation. On the other hand, the extended high end of the JX was a perfect combination for holding down a 10-piece party band with horn section.

Because of the JX bridge pickup, I use an ABCX balancer, which I find even cleaner and more precise than the regular ABC balancer.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  3. Great to read your response as an Ibanez user myself. I have an SR605, SR505 and SR1005EWN.

I feel like this is what I may be slightly missing by having a DC in the neck also. Only thing I'm concerned about is the CS maybe having too much of that. Did you get that from the CS in any way?

Definitely going to experiment with my 2 x DC setup more, though...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  4. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    No, it is just right for a P-position pickup.

5. Great, thanks! Definitely going to order them. Looking for more versatility due to running just a balance control and master volume, no EQ, etc.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    iiipopes likes this.
  6. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I have CSX in my six string yamaha

mail post clips

7. GlassToMouth

GlassToMouth Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2014
    Rhode Island
    Not sure if this will help, but I have a bass with two 45TWX pickups. From what EMG says, the TWX in dual coil mode is essentially a CSX. I have a tone demo video on YouTube I can send you if you like. I run through every pickup configuration.

I've also owned a couple DC equipped basses. I love all EMG's I've tried, but I prefer the TWX over the DC. Still punchy, but warmer.

8. melloncollie

melloncollie Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2016
    I’d be interested in hearing the video.

9. Funnily enough, I previously used two 40TWs, but decided to go for a simpler setup as I just never used the single-coil mode/JCS option.

The dual-coil mode was/is obviously the CS, so I just think that I'm missing some of that warmth that the CS gives, but never had any experience with the DC/CS configuration as I've always had the same pickup in both positions.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  10. GlassToMouth

Jul 1, 2014
    Rhode Island
    I'll PM you the link.

11. melloncollie

melloncollie Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Thank you!

GlassToMouth likes this.
  12. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I'd also like to hear it please as I'm choosing pickups at the moment and unsure whether to just go DC/CS or TWXs. Cheers.

13. GlassToMouth

Jul 1, 2014
    Rhode Island

PM sent. I've never owned the CS, but I own or have owned JX, J, DC and TWX equipped basses. After loving the TWX pair so much, I installed another set in my new Kiesel. I love that setup in my 2 main basses.

14. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Thank you a lot for the link. I've only listened on my small speakers (LSR305s) at modest levels as it's 4am here, but later today after the chores are done, I'll listen via the big system. However, even through the LSRs I could hear a worthwhile difference in tone between the many settings. They might just be what I'm looking for for the (hopefully*) custom 6 I want to order. Cheers.

* Just gotta find someone willing to build it at $ I can afford.

GlassToMouth likes this.
  15. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    @GlassToMouth
    I'm considering the TWX/TWX, can I get a link? thanks!
    BTW, would the R version in the bridge and regular neck both in J mode, is it "60's" jazz spacing?

16. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Hi GTM,
    I just listened to them again this morning after listening to dozens of YT clips of other PUPs over the break and I'm going to get them for the 5. I want that to be my Swiss Army knife bass as much as possible. Due to space limitations it'll just be a 'passive' VVT set up.

The 6 got the go ahead on Christmas Eve, but I have something else in mind for that build now.

Sorry for not getting back before now, but life went to merde in early Oct and I simply forgot. Thanks again.

GlassToMouth likes this.
  17. GlassToMouth

Jul 1, 2014
    Rhode Island
    I'm not sure of the exact measurements in regards to 60's vs 70's bridge spacing. It certainly depends on the instrument they're going into in addition to the orientation of the single coil setting.

Here's the video in question that goes through all the pickup combinations.

lokikallas likes this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021