1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG 40Hz pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mavrik9007, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Mavrik9007

Mavrik9007

Jul 17, 2011
    I have these EMG 40HZ pickups on my Schecter Elite 5..factory standard for this model.
    These are picking up string slap and I haven't been able to allievate this annoying effect. I'm now using Half Round Strings to bring down this effect but still produces a clicking type sound when I dig in. Round Wound almost made this bass sound like it would explode. Looking for a upgrade pick up to put in this bass that'll will not do this and give a better tone. I use this on my rig for a modern country rock type group.. I would like to find something that will produce a nice warm but not too brite tone with this Bass and my mesa M9 carbine head.. Any ideas to better immulate these anshville recording artists in a live setting. ??

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    How do you pluck the string? Are you hitting it so it smacks down against the frets? A lot of this is technique more than the pickups. I hear a lot of players getting a clicking tone because of the way they hit the strings.

You might also want to lower the pickups to get them farther from the strings.

I went to go see Esperanza Spalding recently, and she was getting a really loud annoying clicking when she dug in. I don't know if her pickups were too close to the strings or she was really whacking them because she's more used to upright.

I pluck the strings pretty hard, so to avoid that noise you need to pluck them sideways and not smack them down, unless you want that sound.

Having said that, I used to use the active EMGs, and the DC had an annoying upper midrange peak that brought out all those kinds of sounds. The HZ pickups are essentially the same pickups without the preamp, so perhaps a different pickup might soften that tone somewhat.