Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG 40J-EMG40TW-EMG BQC Control wiring issues

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RevGroove, Feb 14, 2006.

1. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I'm trying to get this set up wired and having problems. The BQC works as it should, but the push pull volume pot is full volume no matter what extreme the knob is turned to, and the J will only give sound at all when the TW pot is in the full volume position.

I've looked at the schematics on EMG's site and contacted their tech dept. It was suggested (by EMG) that I install a mini-toggle switch rather than go push/pull on the pot for the dual mode pickup, but I don't see how that's going to help, plus I really don't want to drill another hole in my bass...I'm thinking the pot may need replacing, but if anyone else has had success wiring any regular EMG Extended Series pickup with an EMG TW (dual mode, single coil+ dual coil) series pickup, if you wouldn't mind either a.) pointing me in the direction of the diagrams you used and/or b.) sending me a diagram of how you did it, I'd much appreciate it...you'd think the son of an electrician would be able to figure this out, but alas, I did not inherit those specific gifts, quite the opposite, actually...thanks in advance!

2. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Probably it is (no offense intended) incorrectly connected. But I can't say what's wrong, because I can't see how you've connected it. I can say that I had no problems installing a pair of EMG TW pickups in my old Acacia bass. Worked perfect.

Have you followed the schematics that came with the pickups (or can be found at the EMG website)?
    Don't sweat it though; it is easy to make mistakes with these things. And often mistakes are hard to spot, once they are made. :)

3. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Got schematics from EMG e-mailed directly, wiring checked and re-checked by two techs, one of whom is going to call EMG...looking more and more like a bad pot...

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

a pot in my experience is not a hard thing to diagnose. Just stick on meter on it. For some reason techs usually have digital meters and you want the cheap kind with a swing arm so you can see the travel, not something that reads out a number. I've never had a digital meter but I've seen techs use them and it appears that's how they work. You also can't smoke a pup with the cheap meter like a digital cause you can't put a load on it.

Another thing guys run into that cuase weird response with volumes is flushmount (torpedo) jacks. The EMG's come with the Fender type jack in stereo form but you can't use that jack in a base that requires a flushmount.

The only way I've figured out to know in advance which is hot and which is neutral on them is to put a meter to them. If you cross them, it probably will be wierd.

5. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Hm, interesting. Have you tried hooking up the output of one pickup directly to an amp? That way, you can at least find out if the pickup gives any signal at all.

Also, of course, I assume that the battery is working and connected to the pickup with correct polarity. EMGs give you nothing without that power, you know....

6. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    We get sound...but the volume controls don't work like they should...see the original post please!
    :D

7. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Oh yeah. My bad. :)