1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG 40J + Spector Euro 5LX = Jazz bass tone?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kwesi, Apr 13, 2009.

1. So lately I've been GASing for the jazz bass tone but I don't exactly want a jazz bass. And being a Spector enthusiast I would really like the J bass tone but in a Spector package. I was thinking of possibly grabbing a Spector Euro 5LX and dropping in a pair of EMG 40Js. Can anyone give their opinion on how faithful they are to the traditional J tone? Could the combination reproduce the growly jazz tone? The woods used for the two are very similar; identical actually (maple, alder, and rosewood for the fretboard) but the differences are pretty significant in that Euro Spectors are neck-thru and active while traditional Jazz basses are neither. I think it would work out but some opinions would be nice.

This is just speculative right now because I don't exactly have the funds to do it just yet but I'd like to get an idea of how it would work out.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I put a set of EMG40's in a USA NS-5 I owned a while back and it sounded like a Spector. The very high mass bridge, neck through, all maple body.

The sound was a little clearer, a little more aggressive but it was not Jazz like.

3. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    if you can wait, i will be doing my big emg tone taste - trying just about every combo of pups in my rebop. i do have two 40j's so that will be a combo i will try. when i finish the recordings i plan on posting them. i'm doing it for myself so i can go back and listen and pick the pups i like the best. but i want to post them because sadly, there really isn't anything like that right now.

i should get to this in a few weeks. i can pm you when it's posted if you'd like.

4. Antonius

Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    NL
    Great idea, looking forward to your results. If it's not too much trouble, then please PM me too.