1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG 40P(5)/40J vs 40CS/40DC

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SpasticTastic, Dec 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    I've seen people make quite a few comparisons to these pickups. I've heard the EMG CS is very similar to a P pickup, while the 40DC is similar to a J pickup.

But has anyone compared the two? I'd imagine the P/J is just an old-school (well, EMG old school) P/J setup, while the CS/DC is a brighter, more "modern" sound with much more output?

I was considering just doing a dual CS or 40J setup, but the tone I'm chasing seems to need that P/J sound. I'm just curious as to how the CS/DC pairing stacks up to it.

Just looking for options for my recently acquired Spector Q5. Not a fan of the stock HZs.

2. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    No opinions about this?

3. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Ha. I certainly have opinions, just no direct experience. Well, a little direct experience. I can tell you firsthand that the CS is much beefier than the P. Not very similar to my ears.

I've also read many, many opinions from others about harshness from the DC when used at the bridge. Makes it sound very, very different than a J. I don't think your analogy is going to hold true. But at least, with the quick-connects, they're easy to swap out!

4. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    Well that certainly helps. I still might consider the CS/DC set. Putting the CS in the bridge and the DC in the middle seems like it would be a good modern-sounding option.

But at the same time, I want that signature Spector P/J growl, so an EMG 40P5/40J set seems like it would help a lot.

5. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    Bump for another opinion... How about the Aguilar DCB set? I like the idea of also staying passive so I can keep my stock BTS system.

6. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I just fitted a pair of Aguilar DCBs into an all-maple build. I tried them passive at first, and they sounded good, but I added a John East BTB-01 and now they sound amazing. But - please remember that each instrument is an individual and unique synthesis of wood, electronics, strings, and player technique.

7. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    Well my bass already comes with an EMG HZ BTS system, so I think it's already fine there. I'm not 100% sure if it's compatable with actives, so that's why I was checking out the Aggies. Supposed to be similar to EMGs with a more passive, midrangey vibe.

8. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I think that's a reasonable description, with the same caveat as before: Each bass - meaning each combination of wood, electronics, and strings - is unique.

9. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    After thinking about it, I think I'm probably gonna get either the 40P5/40J set. After giving this thing a thorough setup, it needs more midrange oomph, so I think the PJ set will help with that.