Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG 40P5 (or 35P5)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BillyB_from_LZ, Sep 23, 2004.

1. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'm a P Bass guy from way back...

I have a 5 string Hoyt/Warmoth J5 (Karl Hoyt neck (maple with pau ferro fingerboard), Warmoth Ash Jazz body) which currently has two EMG Jazz pups. Electronics include a BTS (separate bass and treble) preamp and EMG-EXB (bass expander that's basically an on-board contour control).

I'm toying with the idea of replacing the front J with an EMG 40P5 (or the 35P5 if that would fit better) hoping for P and PJ tones out of my bass.

Does anyone have any experience with the EMG P5s? Do they sound like P Bass pickups? I came up empty searching here, on www.harmonycentral.com and www.bgra.net.

Thanks!!!!

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I have one in my new Valenti.

It doesnt have as much of a P sound as I expected but its still pretty close. It does the fat P sound pretty good but I was hoping for the honky p sound too.

I find that my other Valenti thats loaded with EMG VJ pickups get a closer P style honking tone when I pick the neck PU. Its probably the bass Id use if I wanted a P tone.

Seeing as you have J pickups in there already you might want to try the VJ pickups.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Thanks!!!

After I searched pickups and posted this thread, I searched basses and found your thread. Beautiful bass!!!!

I look into the VJs...

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thanks!