1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG 40P5 (or 35P5)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BillyB_from_LZ, Sep 23, 2004.

1. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'm a P Bass guy from way back...

I have a 5 string Hoyt/Warmoth J5 (Karl Hoyt neck (maple with pau ferro fingerboard), Warmoth Ash Jazz body) which currently has two EMG Jazz pups. Electronics include a BTS (separate bass and treble) preamp and EMG-EXB (bass expander that's basically an on-board contour control).

I'm toying with the idea of replacing the front J with an EMG 40P5 (or the 35P5 if that would fit better) hoping for P and PJ tones out of my bass.

Does anyone have any experience with the EMG P5s? Do they sound like P Bass pickups? I came up empty searching here, on www.harmonycentral.com and www.bgra.net.

Thanks!!!!

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I have one in my new Valenti.

It doesnt have as much of a P sound as I expected but its still pretty close. It does the fat P sound pretty good but I was hoping for the honky p sound too.

I find that my other Valenti thats loaded with EMG VJ pickups get a closer P style honking tone when I pick the neck PU. Its probably the bass Id use if I wanted a P tone.

Seeing as you have J pickups in there already you might want to try the VJ pickups.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Thanks!!!

After I searched pickups and posted this thread, I searched basses and found your thread. Beautiful bass!!!!

I look into the VJs...

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thanks!