Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG 40TW, 45TW pickups. Anyone using them? Opinions?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by A9X, Aug 13, 2004.

1. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I'm interested in the EMG 45TW pickups to replace the very average ones that came standard in my 5 string, but few opinions exist 'out there' on them. Is anyone here using any of the TW series, and in what bass, and what did they replace? Did you compare them to other pickups? Does the coil tap facility make much of a difference sonically?

Any and all info gratefully welcomed.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I have a 40TW and DC to try out in my Aria Pro II bass, probably won't get round to it for a few weeks but I'll report back.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  4. i was considering that same combination (40TW + 40P5) for my peavey grind NTB. now i don't have to because i have a cirrus BXP, but that combination intrigues me. it would be like having an MM/P and P/J from EMG in the same bass. i don't even have to hear it; i know it would sound good...if you're into the EMG sound.

robb.

5. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    So, this thread died with no reviews? I am thinking about these for my custom Modulus? Nino? David?

6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I'm still waiting myself. I've ordered some Status 2003's for one of my customs to try in the meantime and will slot these into the 5 banger I mentioned above. If I like them there, I'll get Rob to whip me up some -45 size ones as well.

7. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Here's one:

My '94 Acacia custom fretless 4-string had EMG 35DC pickups in it originally. About half a year ago I took them out and installed EMG 35TW pickups. The difference, as you no doubt know, is that the DC model is a Dual Coil configuration, whereas the TW is bot a dual coil (ceramic steel) and single coil. That is what I liked about it - switchable between these two sounds.

I like the new pickups, the TWs, a lot. They offer new sounds that the old DC ones couldn't. Both humbucker and single-coil sounds available, without noise or hum. Very useful. Sound great in a band setting.

8. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Hi Elros,

Thanks for your comments. That Acacia of yours is a beautiful instrument. I really like the look of the rosewood, wenge and maple neck.

9. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    what ever happened to the comments people were gonna make about the 40TW?

10. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    My US Spalted Spector has a 40TW in the bridge position and and a SJ5 in the neck position and it kicks arse. The tap has a big sonic difference to my ears, a lot beefier. I usually hit the tap for solo sections.

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I still have it in the box :oops:

Was going to put it in my old Aria Pro II, but decided to keep the bass stock.

12. i'm interested in these too...but the size is what's of concern to me, as i don't know what will fit in my bass.

13. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Me too...but the Canadian Distributor said they wouldn't have them available until this month...and I'm still waiting for pricing, availability, etc...

...but a friend of mine who's an endorsee, he likes them a lot (it's on his recommendation that I decided on one for the bridge of my defretted Spector NS2000Q5)...so I'm trying to be patient!

14. radmin

radmin

Jun 23, 2006
    Columbus, Oh
    45tw -They have to be special ordered. I paid $98 each at German Village Music Haus in columbus Oh. Phenominal price!

They took two months to arrive. Worth the wait. The dual coil mode has that modern sound like a Smith. Pull up the knob and the tone goes to vintage jazz bass sound.

IMO single coil pickups lose too much zing when the strings go dead. I like the dual coil for finger style because they cut through better and dead strings don't loose the special characteristic.

The instructions are for a guitar pickup for some reason. There is no pin out showing exacty what wire does what.

The dual coil is a lot louder than single. Probably because dual mode is wired in series by default. This is somewhat of a problem in my situation becuase I run directly into a mixer.

I bought the pickups for my cheapy carlo robelli 6 string. No extra routing was required. I liked the so much that I ended up sticking them in my MTD 535. It was an exact fit to my supprise. Yay!

My 535 was an early one with a bartolini spilt single coil soapbars. It sounded great if you like single coil sound. I wanted to give it the added ability to do dual coil.

I'm happy with the result but I think if I could get the dual mode to be parallel instead of series the volume difference would be more managable.

15. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
  16. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yep and I love them...:D