Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

emg 45 dc pickup height

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by abriemzh, May 5, 2005.

1. hi,
    i have a custom bass with single emg 45 dc in middle position, and it sounds very hi-mid (lacks bottom low). i wonder if i can add the lower freq with adjusting the pickup height. (acoustically the bass sound great). can anyone help me ???

i read on emg instruction note that active pickup should be adjusted as near as possible to the string (and that is exactly what i done), but the as the result i have very mid freq response.

what is the propper height for active pickups (in this case EMG pickups) or the EMG just have very mid-ish character ???

any opinion would be greatly appreciated.

2. Gomex

Gomex

Jan 7, 2005
    Australia
    I have a set of 45Dcs in my bass and when I just solo the bridge pickup it has a very mid orientated tone. You say you have only a single pickup in your bass, I'm guessing it's near the stingray position? Any pickup placed here will have a very mid based tone. all I can really recommend is to add more bass with your eq, maybe lowering the pickup height, although this will probably just cut highs not add bottom, therefor still mid focused tone, or if you really feel the need get another pickup installed in the neck position

3. is it low-mid oriented or hi-mid oriented ???
    mine has hi-mid oriented, and the position is nearer to neck position, (near precision bass pickup position).

but thanx anyway, any other opinion ???