Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG 45DC on 4-string

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Fangry, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Fangry

Fangry

Apr 27, 2002
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hi,

To put it short I was wondering if there is any disadvantage to putting an EMG 45DC on a 4-string bass with a total string width of 45mm/1.8" at the pickup. I know it's a 6str model with 40DC and 35DC being for 5's and 4's respectively but I'd like to know if this would affect the sound in any negative way.

Thank you for any replies.

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    OTTOMH I can't see why this wouldn't be OK. I've tried some Bart P4's I have mounted over the strings (to test without routing) on a 4 string and they were fine. The P4's are 4mm longer and 6mm narrower than a '45 shape soapbar. The EMG drawings show the 45DC as having full length bar magnets 99.5mm long, so the strings will always be in the magnetic aperture. If you have the pickups, give them a try.
    The only downside I can see would be the aesthetics, maybe, as such wide pickups might look a bit odd with such a narrow string spacing.

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yep, that was my thought. They will work because the internal structure of that pickup is designed any area narrower than its designed maximum. In this case, the 4-strings would be exactly the same as the 4 inside strings on a 6-string bass.

It will undoubtedly look odd to have such large pickups.

4. Fangry

Fangry

Apr 27, 2002
    Helsinki, Finland
    That's exactly what I wanted to know, just couldn't put it into words. Thank you, people.

I don't think the large pickup necessarily looks that odd (see attachment) :) Actually I've had it on my SB-1000 for probably a year and a half now. I had it installed basically because it fit right in being exatcly the size of the original pickup casing (which of course had narrower magnets) and I didn't want to try and fill up the gaps left by a smaller pu. The 45 also works as a lot better thumbrest as the original. The salespeople didn't object to this and just joked about the bends I could do off the fretboard :)

Since I, not that well educated about the workings of different types of pu's, started wondering if this was the best decision especially since EMG seems to advertise the 45's for 6's exclusively. Good to know that they're not designed for any specific string spacing, though, as xyllion said, the strings essentially correspong to the middle 4 of a 6.

Now I can happily skip to the store and get a BTS eq. Hope to get a bit more oomph with that installed.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    fangry, very interesting! I've been looking around for upgrades for my old sb-1000 for a while.

You say the 45DC fit the SB-1000 pickup hole with no routing required (apart from screw holes I bet)?

edit: I looked at the EMG website, it looks like the 45 is 4.5 inches in length? My sb-1000 pickup is 4" in length, so it seems like the 40DC or 40TW would be a better fit?

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    The measurements on the EMG site are definitely correct. I used to own a bass that had the 40s.