EMG 45DC pu with BQC or Basslines ASB2 with STC3A?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mr M, May 5, 2002.

1. I'll choose between 2 x EMG 45DC pu's with BQC preamp and Basslines 2 x ASB2 with STC3A preamp.. With which one I should go? I look forward your experience on those pu and preamps...

I play no pop-slap, I need to be heard in a heavy rock band..
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've never had experience w/either of the pre amps, but I have exp. w/the pickups.

Currently I don't have any basses w/EMG 40DC but Ive had a few like G&L L-5500's (EMG BTC pre) & Spector NS-5's (HazLab/USA & EMG BTS/Czech). I currently have a Warmoth Gecko bass that has a set of BassLines ABS2 paired w/an Aguilar OBP-1 & the bass sounds very similar to the basses that I've had w/EMG 40DC's.

I feel that whichever you choose, the bass is going to sound GREAT!!!!!:)
  3. Thank you Nino-Brown, I wish it'll sound great..

I still need more input as it is a very huge amount ($300-350 or maybe more) for me that I'll be investing on the pu system. Any other who had experience on this pu and preamps?

4. I don't like to do this but I beam the topic up. Don't wanna do too wishy washy and bore you but please and please, share your experiments, I don't have a chance to try those pu's and preamps here in Istanbul, because there isn't any here (EMG does not even have a distributor in the country and Seymour's distributor does only have some p and j pu's for 4 strings right now), so I will order them from US or a country nearby and possibly won't have a chance to turn'em back if I don't like them (the shipping and taxes will kill me). As I don't wanna do a blind jump I need your help, TB is the only place for me to get some ideas for those pu's and preamps..

UP THE IRONS(?!)!!!
  5. Hi M, I put ASB2-5's and the STC-2A in my Ibanez as I liked everything else about the bass except the active electronics. Well worth it IMHO if you don't have the cash for new bass. Pretty easy to install as well. Kind of pricey here in Canada, but it relieved my acutely underfunded GAS at the time. Cheers
  6. Thanks Jaydee

I still couldn't have decided on one of them..