1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG 45DC

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LesFan1991, Mar 12, 2009.

1. LesFan1991

LesFan1991

Mar 12, 2009
    So I ordered an EMG 45-DC for my fretless six string Brice an I was wondering, how does the tone on these sound? I've only heard them a couple times and the guy had one in his bass in the bridge position. I'm trying to get the classic Rainbow Bass sound. Les has his in the bridge position and I'm mostly play that kinda music anyways (Primus-esqe bass, Slapping, fingerstyle ocasionally.) I'm not your traditional bass player, mind you. I love TalkBass. A lot.

2. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Ok, your bass and your rig will make a BIG difference, but here are some EMG 40DC's in my Schecter bass

Oh yeah, here is the full set for some comparison:
    http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=A74FB365DB713D7D

Personally I didn't like the DC sound. I had it in with a 40P5, and whatever way I switched them I had the DC on 0 and the P5 on 10! I currently rock a 40P5/ 40J setup, but I really want to switch that J out for another P5. If I do, I will post a video on youtube!

Hope that has helped

:bassist:

3. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    Hey Kiral, I must say I really like the experimenting you did! I saw the videos about a month ago and they helped me decide to go for 2x40DC. I still want to experiment with 40DC(bridge)+40CS(neck), but so far I really like them. Thanks for the videos!

4. yngwiewho1

yngwiewho1

Mar 2, 2009
    Tomball, Tx
    great vids, i just wish i could hear all those played fingerstyle.

5. 40DC in bridge sounds like Les Claypool

6. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    The DC pickup has a very aggressive sound. The trouble with it, for some people, is that it isn't terribly versatile. It does the forward, growly thing very well. But, the sound it makes is the sound it makes. It isn't very responsive to EQing. If you like that sound (I do), you'll love this pickup. But, its definitely a love/hate type of pickup. I'll tell you this though, you won't ever get lost in the mix with a 40DC in your bridge position or you are doing something very wrong.

FWIW, I use it with a mellower pickup in the neck position (40CS) and it helps my bass be more versatile than it would be if I had 2 40DCs.

7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    That used to be my standard pickup configuration. My only complaint is the J needs to be louder. So I also tried the DC there, and didn't care for it. Two P5's sound nice.

I still have an old 40-P5 and J laying around. The 40J is so old it doesn't have the connector on the bottom. The coil was also longer in those, and on an angle. Now they use half a DC for the J.

8. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    i have a question based on what you know... reading your comment it sounds like it shouldn't be too hard for emg to make a 40TW-DC/J pickup. is there something i'm missing? other than supply and demand.

9. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products

When I said the J is half a DC (or CS), I just meant that they one coil location from a humbucker. The original J used a longer angled coil that went from opposite corners of the case.

I don't know how EMG actually does the TW. They do have separate outputs from both pickups but the question is how are the magnets setup? I guess they could do it, but maybe they felt the CS and the J were farther apart tone wise?

Only they know the answer!

10. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    I agree with the "not very sensitive to EQing" part. Tbh, tho, I'm still trying to get my sound to cut thru the mix when I'm OD'ing (as in, overdriving, not... well, you get it) along with both guitarists. "Well duh, maybe you shouldn't be doing that, then", is what someone's probably gonna answer, but still I'm gonna mess around with my pedal and preamp a bit and see what I can get out of it.

11. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Well, pedals introduce a whole other smorgasboard of tone-related issues. I intend to introduce pedals to my sound soon enough, but I would be a complete newb when it comes to bass pedals. I have fiddled around with tons of pedals on guitar, but that always translate to the low end. The best thing I can tell you is to try to figure what types of EQ your guitarists are using and try to fill in the space they are leaving. Not so much pickup related, as it is an EQ thing. For example, if they are scooping their mids, boost your mids. But, my description about the EMG DC pickup probably does go out the window when you bring pedals into the equation. Of course, that might be true of a lot of pickups. I wouldn't know.

12. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    I had DCs in a fretted bass and I didn't care for them due to their clankiness. Too much noise string, even playing softly.

But I played a fretless with them and simply loved! They capture the subtle fretless harmonics pretty well.

I think they should also go well with flatwound strings