1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG 45DC's for Spector Legend

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mark streich, May 4, 2010.

1. Hey guys thanks in advance for your time. I did a few searches looking for information on this but didn't quite get an answer.
    I'm considering purchasing a Spector Legend Classic 6. I play mostly modern metalcore/deathcore music with my band. I've been aiming for a hi-fi, agressive sound utilizing the strings hitting the frets, fast fingerstyle, and low mids/hi mids boosted to take a dominant place in the mix like alex webster. The problem is the Rockfield Humbuckers on my traben chaos core 5 can't get the sound I want without adding tone from a hartke vxl attack pedal.
    I researched and found Alex Webster uses EMG DC40's on his euro 5, and am wondering If I got a Classic 6 with EMG HZ SSD's, would the tone pump jr. active pre work with the DC45's? Would it be worth the swap? Thanks.

2. You would definately get an improvement in tone, but I would say its not really worth it. I can get pretty much spot on Alex Webster tone with my spector. You can add in plenty of treble to get that harsh sound out of the preamp too.

3. thanks alot, How do you like your svt 3 pro by the way? I have a B4R which is 1000 watts solid state. I'm wondering if not having a tube preamp will also keep me from getting closer to that tone.

4. I love it, the only think I wish it had is more watts. If you get a sansamp that will also help a bit to getting to his tone if you dont have a tube preamp. Alex Webster is using SWR Headlights now, so if you're trying to get his tone from the Evisceration Plague album you'll need to go SWR. If you want to stay Ampeg and closer to his old tone, you can't really go past the 4 Pro, he used one of them for a while.

5. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    The SSDs are actually very nice passive pickups, IMO. You'll want to get rid of that Tone Pump, though. An Aguilar OBP-3 swap will help immensely.

6. Alright thanks for all the input guys.