1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG 45TW Wiring Help....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stix_clgi, Jan 3, 2012.

1. stix_clgi

stix_clgi Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Accokeek, MD
    Hey TB, this one is for all of the pickup/preamp wiring aficionados. I have two EMG 45TWs that I want to install in my Spector Legend 6 Classic. I will be pairing them with an Aguilar OBP-3 pre. According to EMG, the pups need a push/pull volume pot (one for each pickup, standard) to access the coil split function. I'd rather use a master volume and separate blend pot, so EMG says use two DPDT switches for the coil split. I don't have enough space for those switches, plus the preamp bypass switch that comes with Aggie pre. SOOooo...Best Bass Gear will wire a custom Aggie for me with a Vol push/pull pot, Blend, Mid push/pull, stacked Treble/bass. Easy enough I guess....but EMG's use the Quick Connect system! So like, can the Quick Connect be hardwired to the Aggie? I've heard/read about players wiring active EMG's with non-EMG pre's, I just can't find any wiring diagrams/illustrations, and this is where I need help. Can anyone shed some light as to how I would do this? It's worth mentioning that I've never done this before and will probably get a tech to do this for me lol! Thanks in advance!!

P.S. Since the EMG's require a 9v and I want to run the Aggie at 18v, am I going to need 3 9v batts:eek:???

2. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

The Quick Connect system isn't an issue. Just clip the connectors off as needed, or use the supplied leads to connect the preamp to the QCS.

No need for three batteries, either. The TW's sound better running at 18V...

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    You should run the EMGs on 18 volts.

But if you were going to need 9 & 18 volts, you would just take the 9v from the series connection of the two batteries.

4. stix_clgi

Mar 4, 2008
    Accokeek, MD
    Thank for the response! I actually just talked to EMG and the tech told me there's a little silver tab that can be depressed with a shop knife to remove the Quick Connect casings...I think this may not be as hard as I believed.

5. stix_clgi

Mar 4, 2008
    Accokeek, MD
    I believe that's what the tech told me when I spoke to him. He said that the pups and pre could share batteries, so I'd only need 18v which would run both the pickups and the preamp....did I say that right??