Just got a set of EMG active p-bass pups. The instruction sheet says use 250k pots only. Why? The bass is a shortscale and can get muddy. If I used a 500k that would make it that much clearer. I like a really clear sound. But since the emg instructions say not to use anything but 250 I am apprehensive. I am even thinking of trying a 1 meg pot. Also, what happens when active pickups' battery dies? Does it sound like some wierd distortion? That's what happened to me last night at band practice. I am hoping its the battery, I am pretty sure it is, and not something more serious. thanks in advance!