1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Emg active pj or emg hz with preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Darksidevader, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Darksidevader

Darksidevader

Mar 21, 2011
    So hey guys, I'm putting together a 5 string charvel project and it's come time to order the pickups. I was going to just pull the trigger on a set of active Emgs. However, since the bass originally had a Jackson active preamp, it has 4 pot holes so eventually it will an emg preamp installed. Until then it will have a dummy pot installed for a clean look. So now the question is should I just go with the passive emg hz set since a preamp is going in there eventually and they're about 60 bucks cheaper?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not as far as I'm concerned. The HZ's are good pickups, but the regular P and J are still THE EMG pickups for my money. And the BQC is THE pre for it. A little bit of money, but totally worth it IMHO.

3. Darksidevader

Darksidevader

Mar 21, 2011
    Yup I went ahead and ordered the regular active pj set for it. I love the sound of Emgs in the basses that I have/had but I've run into a little extra cash and this charvel has been collecting dust so bam, they're on the way. Bqc eventually but this will work well for the time being.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Indeed. Have fun!