1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG actives in JBass. Missing a wire, can I solder wires?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Havingacneisterrible, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Havingacneisterrible

Havingacneisterrible

Nov 12, 2014
    Hello everyone! After asking around about how to go about doing this^^^ I got mixed answers, one person told me to get an active balance pot from this site but didn't specify which one. http://www.bestbassgear.com/pots.htm. Would the cable for the HZ pickup work on the DC? I don't have the cable for the dc, I got these pickups second hand for free and the guy only had the pickup/push pull knob for the TW. Would I really need a new blend knob? I thought the electronics in this bass were already active? for that matter, how would I go about putting this all together, because the emg stuff is all solderless and all the stuff in the back of the studio is soldered. Yeah, I'm kind of a noob at this stuff, so if anyone could walk me through all this that'd be greatly appreciated, I don't want to mess up this beautiful bass somehow!

this is my bass btw
    http://101basses.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/lowerBody.jpg

2. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Some of the Schecters come with DCs and TW. Maybe they have a schematic to use/compare?

3. Havingacneisterrible

Havingacneisterrible

Nov 12, 2014
    bump for interest

4. I find your post confusing. Are you saying you have a bass with active EQ, that originally had passive pickups, and you've installed active EMGs?

If that's the case then you will almost certainly have to replace the blend pot that's there. You will need a dual-gang, 25KB pot. Here's an actual emg one. One of these will also work if your budget is tight.

There's also a good chance you'll have to replace the volume pot, especially if the bass was originally wired with an active/passive switch. The volume pot you need is a 25KA pot: The EMG one. Here's a cheap one that will work fine.

As for the missing cable, do you mean the wire from the pickup itself?

Surely you can just buy another, right?

Can you solder? The connector on the pickup is 3 standard sized (1/10th inch) header pins. You could make your own cable by cutting three segments from one of these.

Or just solder right up to the exposed pins at the pickup.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014