1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG Actives with Bartolini Preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gstbass, Oct 15, 2006.

1. I am considering adding EMGs (active) to a bartolini preamp loaded bass. Are the two compatible?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Active pickups already have a preamp in them and are not compatible with an outside preamp.

3. The Penguin

The Penguin duplicate account violation Inactive

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    They work with an EMG preamp, and the signal hits another preamp when the signal gets to the amp.

The signal from an EMG should be fine, it's not too hot, it's low impedance won't hurt anything. The only issue I can see would be the 2 battery circuits possibly interfering with each other since IIRC the EMG uses the pickup ground as the return to the battery.

4. bassbooty

bassbooty -Rey Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Utah
    I've had this combo in my Warwick Streamer Stage II 5-string before and it works perfectly and sounds great. The Bartolini preamp warms up the clarity of the EMG's and smoothes out some of the edge of the EMG's in a positive way. I have since discovered the Aguilar preamps (in conjunction with EMG pickups) and that is my sound now.