Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG, Bartolini, Lane Poor or other?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gongobongo, Sep 6, 2000.

1. gongobongo

gongobongo

Jul 12, 2000
    I am designing my next bass guitar and am trying to decide on what active bass pickups to get. I'm looking for a good, funky, slap tone for the most part. So the question stands, whose pickups to buy (I don't feel like waiting for the lane poor backorder) and what sort. I'm currently considering the EMG P5J set.

thx
    -Nat

2. billbassbuilder

billbassbuilder

Aug 30, 2000
    I've used Bartolini and EMG's on my basses. For that modern tone the EMG's are very distinctive and cut very though very well (Listen to Les Claypool's tone for a sample).
    BTW Bartolini does not make any 'active pickups'. Theirs are passive can be used with an onboard preamp. Their 18 volt bass/trble/med preamp is the bomb! MTD use these on their top of the line basses, and Mike knows tone. The trouble with Bartolini is there lead times are unbelievable, although I have seen Mars Music stocks some of the pickups but not all their preamps.
    Good Luck

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I like high end without the hiss. That's Bartolini. What kind of funky slap are you referring to? Examples?

I've heard EMGs sound good on Sadowskys, so far the only Lane Poors I've been exposed to were on an Inner Wood 5 and they sounded nice.The Duncan Basslines are nice, too.

So many choices

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've found that the best pickups for overall, flat response, ime, are lane poors. i have lane poor pickups on 4 of my basses (3 actually, but one is a doubleneck fretted/fretless), in fact, i even had custom bartolinis on one of my 7 strings, and had them replaced with the lane poors. the barts to me tend to sound a bit like they are under a blanket, or as if i were playing with cotton gloves on - if you want pristine high end, and to really exactly what your bass hears, i've not heard anything that can compare with lane poors - they are the cleanest, most flat and even pickups i have ever heard. they have excellent low end response, too - one of my 7 strings is tuned with a low F#, below low B, and from the lowest notes to the highest the response is powerful and even.

as for duncan, my 8 strings have custom, 8-string wide seymour duncan music-man style pickups on them. what an amazing sound - like a pissed off drunk harley :D. i really love the tone the music man pickup has, but i don't know if it would work as well as the lane poors for slap tone - alot of midrange - very cool for an aggressive rock/metal tone, but perhaps a bit to midrangey for slapping. i mean, i slap on them, but the basses have pretty intense eq on them too, which gets tweaked pretty heavily before slapping :D.