Emg bass pickup upgrades.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Brian Crawford, Sep 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Brian Crawford

Brian Crawford

Aug 9, 2009
    Nap_town
    OK just wanted to get some opinions. A schecter I want has a emg p and a 35dc and I know I want to replace the 35dc with a 35p4 but just curious if it's worth upgrading them to the x- series? It has the two nine volt batteries. I just want to see who prefers the X's over non X's.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    If you like higher highs and lower lows, then the X's are for you.

3. Brian Crawford

Brian Crawford

Aug 9, 2009
    Nap_town
    OK cool x it is

4. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Wait, can you combine X and non-X? I thought you couldn't.

5. Brian Crawford

Brian Crawford

Aug 9, 2009
    Nap_town
    No I won't be doing that I'd be replacing both of them with x's

6. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    That sounds expensive. I have heard demos of the 35P4 and thought it sounded outstanding, I'm not sure it's worth going X just because.

7. Brian Crawford

Brian Crawford

Aug 9, 2009
    Nap_town
    Yeah I thought I would just go that route since I could get a good deal on them

8. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Plus, it will take you no time at all just to swap the 35DC for 35P4. Let me describe the process to you.

Loosen all strings. Unscrew the pickup height screws. Pull the 35DC out of the cavity. Pull off the quick connect cable from the pickup. Take the 35P4 out of the box. Put some foam under it. Connect the quick connect cable to the pickup. Put it in the cavity. Screw in the pickup height screws. Tighten strings.

It should seriously take you 5 minutes, there's no soldering or reading diagrams, and you don't even have to pop the control cavity open. If you like the 35P4, then you can put 35DC in the EMG box and since you didn't even have to open any of the other things that came with it, you can probably sell the pickup with all the included goodies for $65-75, so you can recoup a lot of your costs that way.

And if you don't like the 35P4, you just reverse the process and return the pickup in as-new condition. If you go all X-Men on this whole operation, you have to do a lot more surgery and you might not even like it and it's not a simple one-for-one swap either.

9. Brian Crawford

Brian Crawford

Aug 9, 2009
    Nap_town
    Cool thanks for all the info

10. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    I have found more benefit out of the X series when used in the bridge position for the reasons stated: more highs and lows, so a bridge position pickup, usually a J-bass variant, doesn't sound nasal or choked, but a player can still get a good slap tone or "burpy" solo tone out of the instrument.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021