EMG BQ Preamp/EQ

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dave Metts, Apr 19, 2001.

1. I've got a little question regarding the EMG BQ series Preamp/EQ setup. What I was mainly wondering is whether this setup is as good as an Aguilar or Bartolini setup. I plan on using EMG 40J pickups, but I'm still searching for the right Preamp/EQ. The Aguilar is only 2-band, which may or may not be a problem. The main thing that makes the EMG BQ attractive is the fact that it is 3-band. I also figure since I plan on using EMG pickups, it may be wise to just go with a matched system. I haven't heard too much about the quality of these EMG electronics, so that is why I'm turning to all of you for help.

I wasn't 100% sure whether to put this question under pickups or amps, so I'll let the mods make the decision.

Thanks ahead of time for your help!
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have basses w/EMG's.

1-pair of 40 DC's w/BTC 18V
    2-pair of 40 DC's w/Haz-Lab 18V
    3-pair of 40 J's w/Aguilar OBP-1

I personally like #3 best. It's in a Sadowsky clone I built. It Growls like a tiger & it's very bright & cut's through very well. The other 2 are Spectors Czech & USA. They all sound great & it's not like the other two soung bad. I just like #3 that much better I like 2 band e.q.'s better than a 3 band e.q.'s. I used to have a Music Man StingRay & Sterling, both w/3 band e.q.'s & I usually left the mid flat or boosted just alittle. I'm not too familiar w/Bart preamps w/EMG's but any Barts I played I really didn't like (Except fot a Pedulla Rapture J5 & a Modulus, forgot the model)

I'd go w/setup #3.

Good luck.
  3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hey Da5id -

I've got the BQC pre-amp in both of my basses and love it. It's not really fair to compare it to the 3-band setup in the EB/MM stuff, as that has a preset mid EQ point, while the BQC has a sweepable EQ point to go with the cut/boost. It's really cool because it allows you to dial in and boost the perfect mids to make a slap part cut through, or to find that barky frequency in a bad room and cut it out. And all without having to mess with your basic settings on your amp. Very versatile and useful.

Only complaint I have about it is that it's HUNGRY. Eats 9V's like candy. I run it at 18V to get the extra headroom, and it makes a pretty noticeable difference.
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I didn't mean to compare. I never had the EMG BQC. I have the BTC & OBP-1. I put MM's in there becauce it was the only bass I had w/a Mid cut & boost & that I usually never used it.

I didn't know it had a sweepable midrande. I think I am gonna give it a shot in my Spector NS-5 CR.