Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG BQC Control?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I need some more sound possibilitys for my P-bass. I thought about routing a new pickup, a MM humbucker, but my friends at the local store thought as an option that i could get a new preamp. We looked thru some catalogs and we kinda liked the EMG BQC Control, he had never tried it so as i'm surfing a lot of forums i hope that anyone can tell me something about it.

2. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Just got one put in my Spector a month ago, still getting used to it, but I like the mid range control (3 band vs. the 2 band I had previously.)

You'd have to modify your control cavity though, as you'll need an extra whole. The treble and bass are on one concentric pot and the mid level and sweep are on another.

If you're really looking for some extra zing try the EMG P pickup as well.

3. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I wouldn't put another pickup in that bass! As for the BQC,
    I have it in all of my basses. There is a long circuit board on one of the pots that might make it difficult to mount in the little P cavity. It makes a huge difference in one of my J basses. All of my Spectors have the systems and it is nice to have that mid control capability. You also might look into just the BTC control. Just a stacked B/T pot that will go right in with any routing or modifications if you don't want the mid control. And it just so happens I have a BTC control that is in the box still (NEVER MOUNTED, BRAND NEW) that I am not going to use that I'll sell you super cheap.

I hope that helps.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I personally don't like variable mids and the circuit board is very large in the BQC (with fixed spacing between pots) and would probably pose a problem for most control bays. I made it into an outboard so it didn't matter. I don't see any critical differece between current preamps. The OBP-3 takes up less space than a stacked pot and can be wired with a variable mid if you want. The NTMB takes up more space (than OBP-3, less than BQC) with roughly equal size preamp and mid unit but has a 3 position mid switch that is all I found necessary for mid frequency variations.

For details, there's preamp comparsions in Dimento's "preamp experiment" on this page of this forum, maybe page 2 by now.

5. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    The circuit is rather large, as for the fixed pots you are thinking of the B30RB or B60RB. The BQC is individual concentric B/T and M/F pots.

6. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    What kind of P bass do you have? If it is a high end model that cost you alot of money, don't mod it, it will dramatically decrease its value. If you have a lower priced import I think a SD MM humbucker in the bridge position and an Aguilar OP3 preamp would work great. You would need to have a battery compartment routed in addition to having the area under the pickguard enlarged to accomodate the preamp and extra pots. The BQC is a great preamp I have one in a jazz bass and I like it alot I just don't think that a P pickup is going to ever sound like anything but a P pickup (and thats a good thing :) ).

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Thanks for qualifying that, the pots aren't connected. At some point that got etched into my brain even though I had the unit, installed it and removed it. But apparently the thought persists. Maybe now it won't.

8. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas

I second that vote. I have an EMG P and the BTC in my bass and love it. Oh, and run it at least at 18 volts, you'll thank yourself later ;)

9. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Does the EMP P and the BTC at 18 volts give you a bigger variety of tones than before it was modded?

10. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I have a MIM P-bass with a Seymour Duncan QP pup. Has anyone tried the SD Tone Circuits?

11. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    It sure does. It gives you independent Bass and Treble for one thing. Adding the extra 9v to the circuit give you more headroom.

12. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    It sounds like a great setup for a Pbass. I still lean in the direction of another pickup, if the bass is not a high end model.

13. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Modify anything to make it your own. High end or otherwise.

14. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I disagree, resale value should at least be considered. If he gets all of the info and decides he wants to go forward with a mod then that is cool. But it should at least be considered. I have modded my share of basses and I have had both good, and not so good results. It has always resulted in the resale price being lower.
    Look at it this way; you are playing a P but would really like it to sound like a J. Do you mod it or do you sell it and get a J? It is all very subjective and there is no right or wrong answer.

15. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

My first transplant was a set of EMG PJ's with a BTC and it worked out very well. The BTC was just a drop-in (and therefore dropout), which is ideal. I also liked the Bart NTBT. The OBP-1 didn't do anything for me.

Also, ALL basses get sold eventually (or at least change hands). Anything not original will almost invariably diminish desireability and resale value, regardless of the bass. The ideal modification is not permanent and therefore reverseable. Most people want a bass they've seen, know, and have heard; not something untried that somebody's jacked with (and possibly screwed up). If you alter the pup configuration or punch more holes in the bass your stuck with the upgrades going with the bass (unless you plug the holes with something else) - which means it's EXTREMELY unlikely you'll get your money back out of them. Reverseable mods allow the transplants to be removed and sold seperately. Not to mention they're cheaper in the long run and a lot less of a pain to install (one reason the Retro's are so popular - and more expensive no doubt).

Another aspect is, you may not like the change after the fact - and that's more possible than you might expect.

If resale isn't an issue, then it doesn't matter for the most part.

Personally, I started by chopping up a bass that was expendable to begin with.

16. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa

I agree with this 100%. Reversable mods allow you to have fun and experiment but change it back should you not like the results. I don't think that adding a Jazz bass pickup in the bridge position would hurt resale too much, the PJ configuration is common enough where I don't think it would be an issue. If you try adding a PJ you can go the route of adding EMG PJ pickups and the BTC preamp. That would kick butt and give you all the tonal variety that you could want. Going 18volts is also a good idea.

17. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    why didn't i think about adding a jazz bridge pup? :confused: :eek:

Does the preamp works for two pickups also if i should mod it? I'm not afraid of the value of the bass, i'm gonna keep this baby forever! :hyper:

Has anyone tried the Seymour Duncan tone circuits, how is that comparred to the EMG preamp?

18. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    That is a horrible route to do. It took me months to do it right.

19. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    (Don't try this at home)

FWIW:

I play low end Ibanez for lots of reasons. But I got tired of being restricted by the PJ configuration and buying other basses (with different configurations) and not being satisfied with the design of the bass itself. So I took that expendable bass and routed from just above the P pup to about a half inch from the bridge so I wouldn't be restricted by pup design.

It worked out so well, I routed the rest of them 3/4" x 4" x 7" - and I haven't even thought about buying another bass since. It's a lot cheaper to buy pickups (and ship them) than basses. Then I stuck Schaller roller bridges on them so the lateral string width could be adjusted as needed for various pups. The only pup that's caused a problem was an original MM sterling cause it's 1/4" deeper than most pups with the 3 rd dummy coil on the bottom. EBO's, Ric, triple J's, pair of MM's, Pair of P's, Thunderbirds, among others have been in these basses. Plus you can move the pups up or down if it's a little too dark or too bright, not enough bite, whatever. I can go from J's to a Ric in about 5 minutes in the same bass.

Not for most people for sure but may work for you. It's not difficult to make a large rectanglular routing where precision is not critical as a pickgaurd can be fashioned to cover. From what I could tell, removing that much material only made one bass a tad darker with the rest unchanged (and they only weigh 7 lbs now - sweet). All you really need is a bass you really like, don't care about resale, and have a thirst for versatility.

The only reason I have more than a couple basses is different basses have different acoustic properties and work better to different pups.

20. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    That is how the Sklar "Frankenstien" came about.