Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG BQC system question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jebthebassist, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    I have a 4-string Spector Euro series. I have EMGs in it, PJ set up. I love these pickups. I've heard that if you install the BTS system it will make them sound even better. (puts a blend in and a master vol. plus the treble and bass). But while looking up these pickups on the net i came across the BQS system. There is 4 knobs but 2 of the knobs are stacked. My question is... what are the 2 stacked knobs? I think one is bass and treble while the other is mid and ???. Also are these worth buying? They seem like they would allow me to get even more tones and control with my bass. Thanks for info!

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yes, one stacked knob is bass cut/boost & treble cut/boost. The other is mid freq select and mid cut/boost.
    It'll give you more flexibility with your sound, how much you'll use it is up to you. You might choose to boost a low mid frequency (400hz for example) to cut through more, or cut a high mid frequency (say 800hz or 1khz) for slap.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I once had a Chec Spec briefly which I think had an MEC pre with EMG PJs. Anyway, A/B with a GSR 200 with EMG PJ's and EMG BTC was splitting hairs.

Had a BQC control and it was decent but I don't like variable mids. I didn't get the system with the blend cause I wanted to be able to use it with pups other than EMG. The BTC was already gone to compare it to but it didn't seem the mid made much difference. You can usually pick up a used BTC on ebay for right at $50 and if you don't like it, move it on down the road with minimal loss. The 3 bands have been less frequent on ebay in the past and about $75 or so. Make sure you get the knobs with if you go that route.

The EMG's seemed a bit punchier with a preamp than without one from what I recall. But the J's will actually put out a fairly raw almost passive-like tone without an onboard preamp added. I can't remember whether on onboard killed that or not.

4. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    Today i ordered the BQC system online. I figure I'll want to get a new wiring system since i have 2 vol knobs for each pickup which is annoying... plus with my p pickup it seems that when i turn it up all the way it puts out SOOO much power.... more then any other active pickup bass ive played. Im afraid it might damage my amp (even with a -12dB pad) I also just bought the amp too so i dont want anything to happen to it. (Eden WT-800 and an Ampeg PR-410HLF cab) anyways does anyone know why that P pickup puts out SOOO much vol? Will the new wiring system help take care of that?

5. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    First, EMG P/J combos that I've heard on Spectors always have a very large output. The P pickup always seems to be the culperate.

However, you won't damage anything if you set your gain to proper signal/noise ratios. Whatever frequencies are clipping, you can fine tune on your amp. Simple as that.

-Eric.