EMG BQC system

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by npbassman, Jun 26, 2002.

1. npbassman

npbassman Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Just thought I'd share this - I just installed the BQC system in my Modulus Q5 along with some new DC40's and it sounds like a brand new bass! Massive, clearly defined lows and mids. I'm completely satisfied!

2. Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    I'm also way into EMG, sound as clear as a whistle.
    The cool thing is, I have two jazz pickups in my bass not the regular ones but the emg's in the humbucker case. So the coils are at one side of the case. This gave me the cool idea of placing the pickups pretty close to eachother and turn one pickup 180 degrees so their coils are furthest away from eachother. This configuration gives me a jazz bass sound. But then I thought what would happen if I turned both pickups so their coils are almost lying next to eachother. Lo and behold my bass suddenly sounds like a Music Man Stingray!
    This is very cool, the only thing is I can't do the trick live only when recording. Maybe EMG can make me pickups with two separate pickups in them so I can select them with a switch. Those would be the ultimate EMG pickups!!!! You can then make it sound like a Jazz bass, a Stingray and more like the Modules"that you have (two DC "dualcoils).

I wish they could make some of these.
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've got the EMG-BQS which is the same preamp with different knob config on my US Curbow 5 with Bart pickups. It sounds astounding. When I had the bass set up with TI Jazz Flats, it sounded very clean and pure. Now, I've got Powerbass strings on there, and it sounds huge, and it's still crystal clear.

I'm not a big fan of their pickups, but the preamps rule. I especially like the trim pots for the pickup input into the preamp. Very nice.
  4. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Cool! Yeah, its about time I replaced my preamp and pickups with some new EMGs.

Anyways, rock on! :)
  5. npbassman

npbassman Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Yea, I wasn't expecting much and I almost went with Barts. But when I plugged the thing in for the first time, my jaw literally dropped. And that was through my little carvin combo amp. Tonight I get to try it out in rehearsal through my Ashdown/SWR heads and eden cabs. Yummy tone, here I come!
  6. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    i have a schecter elite 5 string and just did the same install emg bqc with dc40's :D ,this is the way to go for an upgrade,:) and everything is "active"& quiet,:cool: although a little "bright" when i installed the DR high beams,(great for slapping?) i might go with a set of nickel strings. i play alot of classic rock(led zep,ac/dc,van halen,etc.) any suggestions on strings to try? :D :D
  7. Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    If you want a bit of a softer tone, try some nickelwound d'addarios. They have a nice smooth topend.