1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

emg BQS system problem?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wyleeboxer, May 9, 2006.

1. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Ok I just installed this system into my SR496 bass with the existing 40p and 40j emg pups I put in last week. After I installed the pre-amp and new battery, I connected it to my amp (which is working). The only sound coming out is very faint or very low volume. I checked all the connection again and they look good. I dont like the fact that there is only room for 1 battery, but do I need 2 for not just the headroom but to get some volume out of it. I know it could be anything and I double checked everything. Loose ground maybe or do I need to use any of the grounds ex.bridge? The instructions say no. I dont know but Im begenning to loose mind!

2. Eddie95Z28

Eddie95Z28 I play bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2003
    Detroit Area, Michigan
    I assume the pickups worked fine before you installed the pre-amp? If so are you sure you are getting power to the pre-amp? There should be a diagram in the instructions showing how to wire it so both the pre-amp and both pickups get the proper voltage from one battery. And you should NOT hook-up the bridge ground wire with active pickups.

3. another battery will NOT get you more volume. more headroom will allow you to push your onboard preamp harder without distorting, but it will not result in a significantly louder output. Check all your grounds and your wiring.

You may also have a bad pot, or at least an incorrect one. make sure all the values of the pots are what they are supposed to be in the wiring diagram, and use an ohm-meter to check and make sure theyre working properly.

If all else fails, email EMG. they'd know best.

4. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks guys. Yeah the pups worked b/f and Im using all the pots that came with the pre-amp. There were some different ones that came with the pups a few weeks ago, I'll check them out and see if their any different? Im calling emg today.