Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG BT dip switches help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by steviecsg, Sep 2, 2003.

1. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    I've noticed 2 dip switches in the circuit of my BT preamp.

Does anybody know what they are for?

Steve

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    use www.google.com to find the EMG website; once there, search in that website to find the four frequencies that the dip's adjust.

3. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    yeah i tried following the links in the emg faq regarding dip switches but it took me to a dead link

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    it was up a few months ago.

you should really find out what the frequencies are. i forgot what they are. i used to use that same pre.

5. You might want to try here:
    emg accessories

basically, you have the choice of 2100, 3500, 4500, and 7000Hz as your break frequencies for the treble side.

I had one of these in an old bass, but I never took the time to mess with it.

Stay Low,

BT

6. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    EMG changed their web stuff, a lot of the links are dead...but I think this is the document you're lucking for...I cut and paste the info to stick in my binder of technical info for my rig. Cheers!

:bassist:

edit: I tried to upload it, but I guess TB can't accept Word documents...e-mail me and I'll send it to you directly, cheers!

7. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    Thanks RevGroove

Actually I mailed EMG and fortunately for me they mailed me a pdf file of the circuit and the table with the 4 permutations and what they do.

2.1, 3.5, 4.5 , 7.1khz center frequencies for the treble control.

my favorite is the 7.1khz setting. I use it to bring some spark to my status energy artist 5.

8. I've tried all of the treble settings on my Hamer Chaparral 12-string. The 7 kHz treble frequency sounds best to me as well, as it helps bring out the ringing piano overtones.

For 4-string or 5-string use, I'd probably recommend the 4.5 kHz setting. In a mix situation, 7 kHz is above the normal range of frequencies that you would slot for bass.

9. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Steviescg: glad you were able to find what you were looking for.

Mine are both set at 4.5 kHz. I played around and tried all the different settings when I had EMG HZs in the neck thru, but now that I've upgraded to EMG-DCs, it may be time to experiment again...