1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG BTC question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by timobee4, Oct 31, 2013.

1. I'm sorry to bring this subject up, I can see that there are millions of threads about this already. I have now spent days looking, reading but not smarter at all.

Years ago I had a Maton JB4 fretless with
    Bartolini 9J1 pickups and an EMG BTC replacing the tone controll. The bass sounded so sweet and i loved it so much until it was stolen. :(

I see all the EMG diagrams with easy plug in systems, extra red wire from pups connecting to busbar and so on. I would love to see a good old fashion wiring (soldering) diagram for passive pickups like my Bart's in my jazz bass connecting to the BTC, correct pot values and such. Simple diagram to replace tone control and what wire to solder where.
    Thx guys!!

2. The only difference with a passive pickup is that you don't connect the battery to the pickups. Everything else stays the same.

The BTC control is active do you'll still need a battery to power that.

3. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    You can still use solder to wire up the newer BTC systems. One tech I know refuses to use the quick connects and solders everything.

4. lifer_

lifer_

Oct 19, 2011
    Bulgaria
  5. Thanks guys!! Diagram certainly cleared all clouds. Can't wait to install it with my barts. Played so many fretless bass over the past 30 years but honestly tell ya the EMG BTC combined with 3.7ish ohm Bartolini 9J1's sounds so sweet only my double basses sound more inviting. Thanks a bunch pps!
    Tone

6. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    There is no difference between the Non-Solder BTC and the Solder BTC, the pin-out on the preamp board is the same. The power and grounds are located in the same spots regardless of the wiring harness you choose.

So: for those with plug-and-play EMG wiring, a older BTC with the single 5 pin plug can be used, just toss the 5 pin plug that has green/red/white/black wires into your parts drawer and use the 2-pin white/black cables for the BTC putting the red battery plug where it goes. For those with the solder type harness, just follow the instructions; it's simple.