1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG BTC wiring help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mrufino1, May 11, 2010.

1. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    It wasn't like that though before I put the emg in- what could be done to a pot while working that would ruin it (I'm asking, if somethign can be ruined in simple fashion I'm the guy to do it!). I will try another later tonight when I can, just to see. I have a fender no load pot that I was using for tone- can that be used as a volume? If not I'll try one of the old pots that was in the bass.

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    it's not a huge thing, but you'll usually get a better sweep of the volume knob from off to full with the pickups on the clockwise (input) lug and the center lug as the "output" lug.

dual volume setups like the jazz bass have to do it the other way, otherwise turning one volume all the way off will kill the entire sound.
    that sounds like a heat-damaged pot (too long on the soldering iron). time to replace it.
    no there's not. unless you're using EMG pickups, the bridge needs to be grounded to reduce excess noise.
    not really, as you'll likely get an annoying noise and a tone change at the transition point.

3. mrufino1

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    Thanks Walter, that is a huge help. Heat damaged pot is probably accurate. What is the best way to get the solder to stick to the pot for the grounding wires without heating it too long? I bet that's what I did.

4. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    use a nice strong iron with a big blunt tip. try to touch the work with a large flat area of the iron's tip, so it gets hot fast. the idea is to get the little zone you're working on really hot before you get the rest of the pot too hot.

put a little flat "puddle" of solder on the back of the pot first (if the solder doesn't quickly flow onto the pot, scrape a zone of fresh un-plated metal in the pot then try it again.) a round bead sitting on top of the pot is not what you want.

flow some solder into the wire you want to attach. (not "onto", into; the solder should wick up in between the strands of the wire. if it doesn't, cut the end off the wire, strip back a little fresh, and try again.)

once both the end of the wire and the back of the pot have shiny solder in a smooth layer on them, hold the wire against the pot and use the iron to melt all the solder at once, so it cools as one piece.

5. mrufino1

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    I changed the pot 3 times and still the same deal with each one. None of them were new, so it is possible they were all damaged (the one I do remember being scratchy before was not used), but I have a feeling it is something else. Could there be something wrong with the BTC? Although the bass and treble pots are not scratchy at all. I think I may take it to someone to wire, just to make sure.

6. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    how is the 9V hooked up? a weirdly scratchy pot is a sign that the pot has DC voltage on it, which should not be happening.

7. mrufino1

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    9V is hooked up black wire to ring of input jack, red wire to the red wire of the preamp and the wire from the pickup that is not going to the 2nd lug of the pot. I have it as 18v, so the two battery clips are wired in series, as per EMG diagram, which I've misunderstood already, so did I misunderstand another part of it? This is baffling to me, it was supposed to be easy to drop in!

8. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    huh? the red wire from the battery is going to the (passive) pickup?

that red (9V+) wire goes only to active stuff! it should go to the red wire of the preamp and that's it!

9. mrufino1

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    Walter, Thank you so much!!! I now have a beautifully smooth volume pot. EMG really needs a better diagram that specifies wiring for non-emg pickups. It says on the diagram that it is for both, but obviously not. I really appreciate your help.

10. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    success? excellent!

yeah, the preamp will handle passive pickups just fine, but there's not much of a diagram to explain it. the idea is that all the passive stuff (pickups into switching into volume pots) just gets fed into the preamp's white (input) wire. from there on out, the signal is active.

now try putting the pickup circuit into the clockwise lug of the volume pot and feeding its center lug into the preamp white wire. again, not a huge difference, but you might get a smoother sweep on the volume knob.

11. mrufino1

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    Yes, it is wired like you just said, with the pickup to the clockwise lug. Again, thanks so much for your help. The BTC was the easy, 1 week 45 try drop in solution!

12. jags

jags

May 10, 2011
    Kona Hawaii
    I was having the same problem following the EMG wiring diagram. They had the positive side of the pickup going to the plus of the battery. Caused a VERY BAD scratching sound when turning the volume. :scowl: Found this thread and made the fix. Wire the positive wire from the pickup to the center lug of the volume pot and the negative wire from the pickup to ground lug of the volume pot. Same lug as the black wire to the BTC.

WORKS GREAT!! :hyper:

Here is a diagram of how I wired my Ibanez Mikro Bass:

mikromod3.

Here's a LINK to the Mod I did on the Ibanez Mikro Bass.

Thanks to everyone on this thread especially walterw and mrufino1!!!! :)

13. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    there's no way they showed the pickup + connected to the 9V supply.

(glad you got it working, though :))

14. jags

jags

May 10, 2011
    Kona Hawaii
    Here is the schematic directly from the pdf off their website.

emgbtc.

As you can see hot directly from the battery to the pickup!! I will try to contact them and let them know. I have a feeling that they would rather have you buy all of their components so the can make some more $$$. We'll see what they have to say.

Thank you once again!!

15. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    That red wire from pickup is not pickup hot. It's power for EMG active pickup. Hot goes to center tab of volume pot as drawn.
    Marko