emg bts- center frequency settings

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dunamis, Jan 26, 2005.

1. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    I'm hoping someone can offer advice on setting the center frequency for treble control.

I just got a new bass that's equipped with the emg bts system. It's wearing TI Jazz Flats right now, which are kind of mid-rangey strings. I think the bass sounds a bit nasal.

Emg's literature mentions switches that can be used to select one of four center frequencies for the treble control. Would you set the center frequency higher or lower to try to improve the nasal sound? Would these setting even influence that?

The selections are:

Thanks for any clarification how this works and what setting might be best.

2. The Thinker

The Thinker Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I have that preamp. While it's a good pre, it drives me nuts sometimes because if something is tweakable, I HAVE to tweak it. :rolleyes:

Without hearing your bass I couldn't say for sure. I have a Hamer Cruise 2Tek w/Dimarzio UJ pickups, and my preferred setting is 4.5kHZ.

If you want to get rid of the nasal sound, here's what I'd try:

First, set at 2.1kHZ and roll treble off. If that doesn't work...

...Try each of the other settings and boost both bass and treble.

One thing to be aware of is that the preamp itself seems to add mids. I have a bypass that allows me to disengage the pre and I definitely hear more mids with the preamp engaged and set flat. Adding bass (and sometimes a bit of treble) tends to de-emphasize the mids.

If you can't find a setting you like, I'd recommend either getting a bypass installed or getting rid of the pre.
  3. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004

I appreciate your advice and will give that a try. IMO, you're right about the BTS adding mids. This is my first experience with that particular pre. In combination with the TI's, which are pretty strong on mids as well, it needs to be toned down a notch or two in the midrange. I may try different strings as well.

Thanks again,