EMG CS soapbars?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Guy Dude Bro, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Guy Dude Bro

Guy Dude Bro Guest

Aug 31, 2002
    Duluth, GA
    Does anyone know anything about these? I'm looking at possible pickups for my next Warmoth bass. How are the CS's different from the DC's?
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've never tried any bass w/the CS p/u's but from the EMG site:

• The P style features two offset coils that give its sound more low end with brilliant highs.
    • The J style is a single coil design that has less low end but an expanded midrange. The J models are designed with an end-to-end magnet structure located underneath the logo end of the pickup.
    • The DC dual coil features side-by-side coils that widen the magnetic aperture delivering a deep, full low end with slightly accentuated midrange.
    • The CS dual coil adds a steel bar positioned above the ceramic magnets. This combo gives full, broad response with added warmth, while retaining a crisp, defined high end.

I've had experience with the 40J's & 40DC's. Personally I like the sound of the J's better. Sound alittle more aggressive w/a more focused midrange that cuts. IMO, the DC's don't tend to cut through the mix of a heavy guitar(s) as well as the J's.

Good luck.
  3. apparently the CS models have 'considerably more' magnetic pull, which could conceivably be a bad thing if you like yer pickups as close to the strings as possible.

also EMG recommends you run two 9Vs in series (18V system) to get maximum clean headroom with these pups.

I haven't done a head-to-head test with the regular DC model, but hope to try that in a week or two
  4. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I thought the CS specifically had a weaker magnetic pull - and that seems like the effect putting a steel bar over the top of the magnets would have (it would channel more of the field through itself, less would go through the air and strings).
  5. good point, and the EMG literature is a little vague about the specifics of those "Ceramic and Steel" pickups. I was going by what i found in their catalog....

(from EMG catalog) The shape and type of
    magnet used in each EMG Pickup is
    different. Ceramic magnets don't
    affect the inductance of the coil but
    have a much stronger magnetic
    field. Alnico material exhibits less
    magnetism yet greatly increases the
    inductance of the EMG design.
    Each has affect on the resultant
    output and frequency response of
    the pickup. The addition of steel
    poles (either bar or screw/stud)
    increase the inductance of the
    pickup design and further change
    the results.

and also extrapolating what little i remember about the effects of 'iron loading' a magnetic circuit:

"The ferromagnetic property of the iron core causes the internal magnetic domains of the iron to line up with the smaller driving magnetic field produced by the current in the solenoid. The effect is the multiplication of the magnetic field by factors of tens to even thousands. "

( see a page with illustrations)

as usual, i may be completely wrong! hopefully the local shop will soon get in a CS for me to compare
  6. CS are 'warmer', more traditional sounding. Bigger bottom, slightly less treble response.

Go to a store and compare a Czech Spector to a US Bolt On. The bolt-on has a CSTW(coil splitabble) in the bridge, and the Czech has two DC's. Compare the bridge pups on both models for a fairly accurate comparison.