Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG DC/CS Compared to MM Pickup.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by EricTheEZ1, May 17, 2005.

1. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I'm trying to get a MM-like tone from EMG soapbars. I'm still researching, obviously. I'm not talking a Stingray tone; just the general type of tone that a MM pickup gives you.

They are both Dual Coil designs, am I right? How different are these 2 tones? If a 35DC/CS was an apple and a 35J is oranges; what would a 35DC/CS compared to a MM pickup be? Watermelon? Slightly different apple?

I suck with metaphors. :crying:

-Eric.

2. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    Probably more like pickled mango. The EMGs sound nothing like an MM. They are very clear, clean and hifi with very little grit or snarl like an MM has. If I HAD to choose one, I would say the CS is a little warmer than the DC, so is probably a little closer.

Hope this helps.

3. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Yeah, a little bit. :meh: I can only get a pickup in the EMG35 housing/soapbar shape. I want to get a new pickup for, at least, the bridge position and really want a MM-like tone out of it.

Does anybody know the most MM-like tone in an EMG35 housing? EMG and Bartolini are the only companies I'm looking at, currently.

-Eric.

4. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    An excellent question. I'm bumping this thread to see if anybody has any new opinions

5. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    Basslines has since come out with a passive soapbar in the EMG 35 series shape. That would probably be a better bet for this application than the EMGs. I haven't tried it out, so I can't say what it actually sounds like.

6. tehuberc

tehuberc

Mar 1, 2007
    Bump. This topic is as old as hell, but I'm wondering if anyone has any new responses >_>.

7. Modulrob

Modulrob

Jan 8, 2003
    From what I've owned, I can say that the DC is great in the MM or above (preferably P) postition. The DC is tuned to allow a lot of high end, and at the bridge position (as implied by the original poster, maybe closer to the bridge than MM) is considered too bright by many folks. The CS has the highs toned down, and therefore is liked by many more folks in that position.

8. Jamie_Funk

Jamie_Funk Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2002
    London, Ontario
    Funny how opinions can differ - the EMG DC was created to simulate an MM tone without additional active eq - it ONLY does this in the MM sweet spot. I put one in my Yamaha BBn5 in the early 90s - A/B with a Stingray 5, VERY close. In fact, it sounded better to me - YMMV, but a LOT of Stingray players I knew agreed. Midrange for days....and a KILLER B....

This pickup IMO sounds not very good in any other position....

Jamie

9. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    This info should be posted all over the EMG site. The DC must be the most misplaced pickup of all times.