Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG DC CS Positioning

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Velcro, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Velcro

Velcro Guest

Nov 6, 2002
    Philippines, Manila
    Has anyone tried an EMG 40DC series on the bridge position and an EMG 40CS on the neck.. or vice versa? Which pick up positioning is advisable? I only have heard basses with both DC or both CS configurations. As per my understanding, the CS has a warmer tone so it is suitable for neck position... DC according to rick hunt (EMGtek) has more bottom end suitable for bridge.

Has anyone tried the EMG DC or CS with an Aguilar OBP-1 or OBP-3? Please give me your comments on this.:confused:

2. matt_howlett

matt_howlett

Sep 3, 2003
    Australia
    I am running an Ibanez SR-885 and found the best sound is with the DC at the neck and the CS at the bridge. I tried them the other way round and it didn't sound overly good. I have only just popped them in late last night ... my opinion may change when I give it a play tonight.

I could be wrong here, but the more fundamental frequencies are near the neck - hence the DC probably does it's best work on the lows here. Of course the pickups are relatively easy to swap provided you don't mind re-stringing your guitar each time.

What did you find works best for you?

3. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I had a Spector NS2000/4 with the DC/CS config with the EMG BQC system and I could get any tone I wanted out of it. I now have all of my basses loaded with the EMG BQC system I loved it so much.

4. matt_howlett

matt_howlett

Sep 3, 2003
    Australia
    Did you put the DC in the neck or bridge position?

5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Almost a year later...what's the current wisdome on this subject?

6. glnflwrs

glnflwrs

Jan 25, 2005
    Hesperia, CA
    The fullest and best sound comes from the middle of a strings tonal length, nut to bridge. The neck or fingerboard pup is closer to that location. A higher, thinner tone comes from the bridge end of the string.

If you are trying to compensate and overcome this natural string tone you would want a DC ceramic loaded pup at the bridge to give a deeper fuller, richer bass tone, and a CS steel loaded pup at the neck to give it a brighter, thinner "twang".

If you are trying to emphasize the natural string tone at these positions the opposite placement, for the same reasons, would be appropriate.

7. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Well, I decided that I was happy with the sound of the DC at the neck, and didn't like how thin and twangy the high end sounded with it at the bridge, so last night I took the plunge and put a CS at the bridge position...I must say that I'm very pleased with the results. I'm finally happy with the bridge pickup fully up! Can't wait to put a TW on my fretless now, which is essentially a CS when in dual mode (and a J in single...putting a 40J at the neck on the fretless as well.)

To each their own...but for me, the CS works MUCH better at the bridge than the DC did...

8. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Did you arrive at a conclusion as yet?

9. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Helpful and timely comments Rev as I was only looking at this old thread after a search in the last few days.

I've recently purchased a 35DC and have been wondering whether to get a CS or another DC, but your comments re the positioning and the CS makes me think that, or the TW will be best. Guess I'll just have to buy one and see. I like the flexibilty the TW theoretically offers, but few people seem to have them as reports on them 'in use' are rare.

Are you running yours into a pre, or just 'passively' out through the pots?

10. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    I have an EMG BQ tone circuit in my fretted (3 band), and an EMG BT currently in my fretless (2 band).

Once you get them installed, they're basically plug and play, so if DC/CS doesn't work for you, switching to CS/DC will be relatively quick and easy.

Yeh, not many people seem to be using them on TB, I had to search elsewhere for feedback on them...but it was all good! The only concenr I had, was when I used to play the skinny strings, I had the guitar equivalent (EMG 89) in my Lado, and the single coil was stupidly lower in volume...I mean, I'd expect a volume shift, but not to less than half! I'm hoping that the TW will be different.

11. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I'd use my own design onboard pre, but still incorporate the EMG connectors so swapping the pups would be easy enough.

Your comment about the 89 dropping is level is interesting; you'd have thought they'd design in a 6dB gain differential as two similar coils run singly and HB are going to have a level difference. Anyway, if the sonics are worth it, another resistor on the selector switch to adjust the gain isn't a big issue for me and the cost differnce between the CS and TW (~$20) is worth the risk.

12. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Wouldn't mind seeing a diagram of that...

13. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    It's specific to my pre and won't work anywhere else. Sorry.