Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG DC vs. CS?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Aug 14, 2003.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm trying to decide what pickup to put in my new project bass - see my other post to view the pickup rout. I have a line on a used Stingray pickup; I'm also considering an EMG.

I'm *not* trying to make a Stingray clone, tonally or visually. I'm going to try leaving off a pickguard for the visual part. I simply like single pickup basses - they’re easier to deal with when drinking.

I like EMGs a lot. The rout is oversized for an EMG 35 (or for a MM pickup, for that matter), but I have an idea how to make an inexpensive surround like a HB mounting ring. I'm planning on a passive tone circuit.

I haven't heard the difference between a DC series and a CS series EMG. EMG describes the CS as being warmer; is this accurate to your experience? I'm shooting for more of the P bass end of the pool rather than J.

Comments? Experiences? Tourette's outburst?

2. hey man,

recently i built a Stingray copy bass and installed a EMG CS40. IMO an excellent sounding pickup, but not in the way that EMG describe its characteristics: if you're looking for a sound like a P-bass, look no further! these babies sound like a P on crack! :D

in all seriousness, the freq response from the pickup i acquired and installed is truely amazing, with booty-movin' lows and dizzying highs, but unfortunately does, because it is, sound like an active pickup. i'm not sure whether you can wire in passively, but i used two 9v batteries wired in series to run mine and it sounds fantastic.

just my experience, but see what everyone else says too!

happy hunting,
    Lexy

3. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Lex -

Just what I'm trying to find! Are you using an active tone board or passive with a cap?

I've always liked the EMG sound. Some call it processed, I call it clean.

4. good to hear man.

i just wired it up the way they showed me with the included instructions, but apparerntly the pickups themselves have an active circuit inside the casings. these pickups are the simplest things to wire, and i'm not kidding! all you do is plug in a short connector lead that they supply then solder in the cap, two pots, the battery(s) and the output jack and hey presto! you're done, like magic!

but back on topic tho...yeah i'm pretty sure it is active, having used the batteries and all, and like i said before, i don't think you CAN install them as passives, i think they need the power...and they are definately very clean sounding, NOT sterile or processed in any sense.

good luck, hope i helped. feel free to ask me more!

Lexy

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Lex -

Yep, the EMGs are active pickups, but you're using a passive tone circuit (which is what I'd do).

Thanks!

6. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    ...and I'm just wondering, as they're going to be installed this weekend...I already have the EMG BTS tone circuit and I'm running that at 18 v...do I have to put in a separate battery for the pickups, or well pickups and tone circuit run off of the 18 volts? Should I go up to 27v? Please advise, thanks!

7. Arjan

Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    Hell ya, these EMG's CS pickups are great! Like Lex_the_punk said, they are more like p's on steroids.
    I have one in my 4 string bass, it's the bridge pu (I have an emg J as the neck pu). Also, they have plenty of output and have a very good signal to noise ratio. I also recommend to run them at 18 volts (don't go for 27 volts, its a waist of controlcavity space). RevGroove, 18 volts is enough, even with the BTS control circuit.

I don't know if you can remember John Taylors (Duran Duran) Aria Pro2 1000, thats what sound I got when I installed the EMG cs in the bridge position. And I think that when you put it a little closer to the neck (like on a stingray) you'll get some more beef added to your sound.

I also own one of the DC pu's, they sound a bit brighter and have a bit more bite. But I favor the CS pu's, they sound a lot like the DC's but they have a more vintage vibe to em (warmer)

8. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Thanks Arjan, your comments regarding voltage are backed up by the very first instruction regarding installation! I got the pick ups today and they're going to be installed on Tuesday!

I don't need the pots (volume and tone, one each), or the jacks, or the battery clips...anybody need spare parts?