1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG designed Select humbuckers

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lpdeluxe, Apr 9, 2006.

1. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I installed a pair of these on my pitiful Korean-made Global (which came with generic chrome humbuckers) this weekend. So far, they are an incredible improvement: very deep voice, quiet, and not bad looking (you can check them out at http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electro...EMG_Select_Bass_Pickups/Pictures.html#details
    OK, they're not Bartolinis, but for the price I think a lot of low-end bass owners (like me, but I also own a P bass, a Carvin w DiMarzios, and an Ibanez ABG 5) they will give a lot of satisfaction for the buck. I'll try them out officially tomorrow, when I go rehearse my current gig -- I've been rotating my basses througn the song list, we'll see if this one cuts it.

2. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I'm curious as to how these sound. I look forward to a complete review an comparison.

3. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    We're rehearsing this afternoon. I'm thinking I might go with LaBella nylon tape wounds, but I don't have time before the rehearsal to change them. I'll report back. If they do the job, that's $24 + shipping per pickup!

4. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I'm very pleased with them. I was playing Neil Young and Jimmy Buffet songs, along with some other mellow-folkie-rock stuff, and they nailed that laidback P sound. They are not as aggressive as the DiMarzio DP123s in my Carvin LB20, but after all, they are about half the price. Here's a photo of the bass, with the original Korean pickups:
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lpdeluxe@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=/7642&.dnm=ada3.jpg
    In person, they looked even more pitiful. Part of the reason I tried the Selects is that the original pickups were close to the size of Gibson mini-hmbuckers, and I wanted to keep routing to a minimum.

For the bridge pickup, the route was larger than the pickup ring, so I just mounted the Select on a standard humbucker ring and screwed it down. The neck pickup required routing about 3/16" from front to back (from side to side the new one fit perfectly).

I clamped the pickguard, with a line scored in it showing me where the new edge would be, to a 1 X 6 with a 1 X 2 on top of the plastic, set the same distance from the new edge as the router bit was from the outer rim of the tool. This gave me a straight fence to route against, so I was able to do a neater job. The mounting screw hole spacing was different, so I had to drill those too.

Total, about an hour's time and about fifty bucks. I wouldn't do this to a P or a J, but if you have a POS lying around that needs some help, this is the poor man's solution. I plan to gig with this bass, with the qualification that some material will require one of my other axes.

5. I think the EMG Selects are great value.

I have two EMG Select J sets - one in my fretted and one in my fretless bass.

After buying my first set, I also bought some DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pups because they had so many favourable reviews.

Guess what...I pulled the (much more expensive) DiMarzio pups out and went straight back to the Selects.

I love their tone, they have good output - nice clarity, and a good warm sound. The DiMarzio's by comparision have a very low output (which I could learn to live with) but also a very thin sounding tone. Maybe the DiMarzio J set would suit me more than the Ultra Jazz, but there's no need.

The Selects are great ;)

6. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    As I said, my LB20 has the J models, but I have not played it as much as the POS with the Selects. When we work our way into more rock-oriented material I'll probably add the LB20 to the mix.

I have been playing through an Ampeg B100R, which is a "round" sounding amp. I have been hauling it back and forth in my Toyota to another place, where we will be playing tomorrow night. I left the Ampeg there yesterday after rehearsal and, when I was home again, I rolled out my "big rig" which is a Musicman HD130 head with a Hartke 410 cab (I know, it's not a **really** big rig, but it's pretty big for the space I have) so I could practice some more on the new material at home.

I had to roll off the highs a good bit to keep the bridge pickup from getting honky, but once I did, the bass started sounding pretty good. It had more punch than it did through the Ampeg, with more of a midrangey sound that still had plenty of bottom.

For someone who has to have a very aggressive tone, I don't think these pickups are the best thing. For getting a vintage P sound out of a pair of humbuckers, they are quite a bargain.

7. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
  8. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I think that the bass with the emg pups looks quite nice.
    I am attracted to these pups because I tend to prefer a warmer less bitey tone in my pups. (I love the fender noiseless for this reason)

Has anyone tried emg selects with a preamp?

Are the emg select J pups humcanceling or singlecoil?

9. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    The blurb in the stewmac catalog says the J pickups are a "hum-canceling set of two single-blade pickups" which could mean that they are single-coils that are wired to be humbucking in combination (some Strats are wired this way), or that each one is two coils. I couldn't find the definitive word.

The humbuckers I installed are, as I noted, full-size hbs which will not fit in the JB slots.

"Warm less bitey" is right where these are at. Every review I've found for Selects has said substantially the same thing, but so far I haven't happened across any for the J pickups.

10. The EMG Select J set of pups are single coil pups which are hum-cancelling when both turned on fully as they're reverse wound.

They have a lovely clear, warm tone.

I have two sets.

;)