Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG: Difference b/n DC and P pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kp_funk, Mar 1, 2005.

1. kp_funk

kp_funk

Jun 9, 2003
    Hey ya'll

I just wanted to get anybody's opinion on the difference of the EMG P PU (single off-set coil) and the EMG DC PU (Dual coil). Which tone is best, which is most versitile. I think DC has most power, but I'm looking at tone, and versitility.

I will be putting one of these on the neck position.

2. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    The P pup will sound more traditional. Think hi-fi Precision bass.

The DC will sound more modern. Think modern......sorry, I don't know how to explain it better. The DC will give you a wider range, as in more highs and more lows, compared to the P. It should prove to be more versatile in most applications. Hope this helps......

3. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    i'd put the cs in the neck position, it's smoother than the dc.

4. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida

There is no CS in this situation.......

5. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I meant "A" CS. The DC is a little harsher than the CS. Sorry for the confusion.

6. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    That's why I put mine at the bridge! ;)

7. kp_funk

kp_funk

Jun 9, 2003
    I have the CS at the bridge position already. Right now I have the EMG P pickup at the neck position. Just thinking about changing it to the DC. But I don't want to hate the tone. I don't want my bass to sound too Hi Fi. but it can't sound boring either.

8. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Haven't tried the P yet. Considered it for my fretless, but then decided against it...but the DC is great in the neck spot, IMHO, sounded not so great in the bridge spot.