Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG dilema: 40DC or 45DC??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by E.O.M., Sep 21, 2002.

1. E.O.M.

E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Hello. I have been thinking about replacing the stock pickups in my Ibanez SR506 six string. I've got the choice down to EMG Dual Coils, but I have a problem.

First of all, the string spacing at the neck pickup is 3.125", and at the bridge pickup is 3.25".

The 40DC's have a maximium recommended string spacing of 3.125", so that works with the neck pup but not the bridge.

The 45DC's have a maximum recommended string spacing of 3.75", however they are 4.5" long, and my bass can only hold pickups that are < 4.125".

So, my question is, should I get the 40DC's and hope that the 3.25" won't affect the output too much, or should I get the 45DC's and do a little routing work so my bass can fit them?

2. E.O.M.

E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Anyone?

3. mjl422

mjl422

Jul 3, 2002
    I would go with the 45DCs. Measure your pickup cavity again to verify the dimensions. I installed the 45DCs in my 6 string (not an Ibanez) but it has a similar string spacing and they fit right into the existing slot.

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    :rolleyes: That's a really useful thing to say since he's already said that the 45s won't fit. Of course, they fit in your (very different) bass, so surely his measurements aren't right?

I'd say the 40s could work. It partly depends on how you play - how far the strings move (especially the B) when they vibrate. I don't think, given the 1/16" on either side out of the "recommended area", that either B or C string will have any noticeable volume difference when played fairly lightly. Well, I don't think it'd even be a problem if you play hard. My guess is that EMG's number is a little bit conservative?

So. . .I'd so go for the 40s, provided you've got a 10-day or something return window if they don't work out. Even if you can't get that, you can sell them for almost what you paid. Whereas you have to permanently modify the bass to get the 45s in there. . .

5. E.O.M.

E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Thanks, Geshel. That's probably what I was gonna end up doing anyway.

6. mjl422

mjl422

Jul 3, 2002
    . I don't think, given the 1/16" on either side out of the "recommended area", that either B or C string will have any noticeable volume difference when played fairly lightly. Well, I don't think it'd even be a problem if you play hard.

Are you sure or are you just speculating. I think it will make a big difference but, I'm just speculating based on my limited knowledge.

The reason I suggested that you measure your pickups again was because I was told that the 45DCs were direct replacements for Ibanez 6-strings. I could have been misinformed.

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    "I think" they "could" work. Does it sound like I'm sure to you? (I hope not) :)

What I'm basing this on:

- I wouldn't expect the magnetic field to be so well controlled that 1/16" would go from "just fine" to "crappy"

- I'm guessing that they're a tiny bit conservative in their specs, just to be safe

- a conversation I had with Lane Poor about putting some of his pickups in my Carvin. His recommended string-to-edge-of-pickup distance was 5/8", and my setup would have been 0.5" (for a 1/8" difference on each side). He said,

So obviously the EMGs are different (LP's 5/8"-per-side is about the largest requirement I've seen). But my guess this 1/16" is a similar "maybe".

As a footnote, a few months later I ordered an MM5 and JC (four-string model, to fit my Carvin) from Lane. He apparently forgot what he said earlier because he said I was mixing 4 and 5-string pickups :) and I should change my order to a JC-5. I said I was willing to try the shorter pickup, but I never heard back (or got my pickups, of course they never charged me though). His shop closed a few months later.

8. My experience with my SR-505 is somewhat similar. I went with Basslines Phase 2 ASB-5's only because they specify which pickup in the set goes where. They are the same size as the EMG 40 pups. It didn't occur to me that a slight difference in size might be a problem, as when installed they were slightly smaller than stock, with a space of about 2mm all around the routs. The mounting screws are in on a slight angle. As far as I can tell, there is no problem with the output of any string on either pup. However the magnetic structure of the Basslines pups is not the same as the EMG 40's, split bars vs straight bars. Are you getting the preamp to go with them?