Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG doesn't make a 5-string J-pickup???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by HotRatz, May 8, 2004.

1. HotRatz

HotRatz Guest

Mar 13, 2003
    Portland, OR
    hey all... I just got an email back from EMG. I was asking what they had available for a 5-string Jazz pickup, to put in my '99 Thumb NT. ... He said they don't make one, that the owner doesn't want to...??? ***? :eek: Anybody else been able to get a replacement EMG set for a 5-string? How bout this - is there anyone out there who's replaced the pickups in their Thumb with either EMG, Bartolini, or DiMarzio, and kept the stock MEC preamp? Good/bad/ugly? Thanks a bunch, me fellows. Keep it solid.

2. Jaye

Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yup, I replaced my pickups in a Thumb 5 NT with EMG's.

You need to get two of the EMG LJ pickups (both are bridge length 3.75")

I tried EMG's, Barts, SD's, DiMarzios and the EMG's were the ones best suited to the Thumb imo.

I don't have the bass anymore, and am selling the EMG LJ set I have in classifieds (shameless plug).

4. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I put some of these in a Warmoth Jazz Deluxe 5 several years ago. They worked great. Very even sound across all strings.

5. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Years ago I had a Carruther's 5 string with JJ EMGs.

Now this five string had wide spacing like 4 string spacing.
    The original EMGs didn't have a wide enough field and, as a result,
    the B and G strings were a little low in output.
    John Carruthers eventually got some newer EMG JJs with a wider field
    (same physical size though) and they worked perfectly.

I don't know what model they were, but if they worked on this five string,
    with this wide spacing, they'll work on any 5.

I know I've seen beautique 5 and 6 string Jazz style basses with EMGs.
    Where are those pups coming from?

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Off to Pickups...

7. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Anyone get any news on this? I may be in the same jam with an MTD Saratoga

8. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Bottom line, it's false.
    As I stated in an earlier post: John Carruthers put EMG Js in one of his 5 strings I used to own.
    His 5 string spacing is wide (at least 19 or 20mm) and the first set he had installed had a field that wasn't quite wide enough.
    He got a new set from EMG that worked perfectly (same size/no new routing) despite his unusually wide 5 string spacing.
    This was about 10 years ago already. I'd be surprised if they didn't still make them.

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The current EMG J pickups are a single bar, so the string spacing is pretty irrelevant as long as all your strings fit within the field of the pickup - I used them on a 17mm spaced Thumb 5 last year with no problem.

The main issue is your pickup routes, there being no standard for 5 string J pickups. But I used two LJ pickups with NO problems, and this is the solution EMG themselves recommended.

10. rkatapt

rkatapt

Jun 7, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I have a 5 string with jazz style EMJ pickups. The bass originally came with some EMJ "select" Jazz style pickups. It was all passive at first. I had it reworked and rewired to get an active pre and had some EMJ "jazz" style pickups installed I do not recall the type or model no. I'll post some pics when I get home....

11. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

The PJ EMG setup I had in one of my Fodera five strings had the pickups in soapbar cases. This was the only way to get a wide spacing for those pickups I was told.

12. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY