Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG-EXB in a Jazz??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jeffroloc, Feb 26, 2006.

1. I want to replace the tone pot for an EXB contour/preamp pot in my Jazz but it's an active circuit. I've test fit the 9v in the cavity and it fits but will this setup work with stock vol. pots and wiring?

I've searched EMG's site for info but I can't find anything. Please help.

2. Eul0gy

Eul0gy

Dec 30, 2005
    umm not the pots , emg's need to be 25k pots, i had to replace my pots on my p-bass when i got emg's luckly they came with the pickups ,

3. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Assuming that you pickups are passive and staying that way, you do not need to change anything other than the tone wiring. The passive volumes or balance stuff will feed into the preamp input. I am also assuming you are getting a preassembled printed circuit board with the concentric treble and bass pot on it.

Dave

4. Thanks Dave, I do have the pot, wiring, instructions, the whole nine... it just didn't mention being compatible with passive or active pups and I didn't wanna assume anything before checking with someone, thanks again.:hyper:

5. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I looked at the EMG site and it does not explicitiy say it is compatable with passive electronics. But most practical implemenations of a preamp will be (I am a EE that designs opamp circuts for a living). If you really want to be sure, contact EMG.

But once again I am pretty sure you will be OK.

Dave

6. It's currently installed on my Ibanez but I got the BQC control pots on order(should be any day now). As soon as I get em I'll swap it out, put it in the Jazz and post the results.

Thanks again for the much needed info!!!

7. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I seem to recall reading somewhere in their literature that their preamp circuits are not compatible with passive pickups. It could be just a plot to sell more stuff, or their preamps could have a lower input impedance. Either way, they recommend buying their little 'booster' circuit.

8. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Right on. They do have some neat little circuits that aren't wildly expensive (unlike some guitar electronics companies). I like the idea behind the EXB... I think I'll add building one to my rainy day projects list.

9. I got the parts today. I installed the BQC in the Ibanez and the EXB in the Jazz, both sound ten times better. The Jazz got a nice increase in bass presense while the Ibanez now has more tone options.

Thanks for everyone's posts, I couldn't have done it without you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Wondering if anyone has anymore impressions of the EXB? Sounds like a handle lil gizmo to dial in a slap tone since I am not much of an active EQ tweaker.