1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG-EXB

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PJ all day, Apr 28, 2009.

1. PJ all day

PJ all day

Sep 29, 2008
    has anyone had any experience with these i can't find reviews or sound clips anywhere. I like the idea of only having 1 knob instead of a three band eq.

Also does anyone know any other pre amps that are comparable to this with only 1 non-stacked knob

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I bought a (used) Warmoth many years ago that had the EXB. My understanding is that as you turned it up, it boosted highs and lows and cut mids, giving a more scooped sound. I did not find it particularly useful.

There are probably other options for a 1-knob preamp, depending on exactly what you want that 1 knob to do...

Mike

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I thought the EMG-X pickups were new just this year???

Or is this a different older pickups being talked about? Or is the OP confused, and zimmerman is talking about an older pickup based on his confusion?

:: confusing ::

4. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
  5. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Ah, ok.

Duh... says 1-band right in his original post... :: sigh :: Stupid american fails at reading english this morning.

6. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    S'alright--too darn many 3-letter acronyms, and not enough coffee!

7. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Personally, I am still interested in feedback on the EMG-X pickups though...

:)

8. PJ all day

PJ all day

Sep 29, 2008
    could you please name some of these pre amps im looking for 1 like the polyfusion zp-1 on the old zon legacy standards

9. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    What do you want that one knob to do? Treble roll off? Just get a preamp with no EQ controls at all, and use a passive tone control.

You can get something like a Redeemer or Bart TC-1 or 2

10. PJ all day

PJ all day

Sep 29, 2008
    well the treble roll off would be fine but i don't want something that just boosts the volume i want it to give the sound a different character

11. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    "Different" in what way?

12. PJ all day

PJ all day

Sep 29, 2008
    just to give the bass a sound of its own like how the zon pre amp makes it sound like a zon and the stingray pre amp helps give its sound, If that dose not make sense just let me know

13. You can get the equivalent of a Gibson Varitone for bass - I've read about it & I'm sure someone here has a link.

I use a Varitone-type control with choke on my FrankenStrat & it does exactly what you want - gives your instrument several different tonal textures. They don't work as well without the choke.

I also have a 1986 Westone Thunder III Model 2. These had a single knob pre-amp. There's a centre detente. Anti-clockwise from that boosts the bottom end, and clockwise boosts the mids.

I use ant-c. for most things, and clockwise for solo-ing. The Westone also has a passive treble roll-off. It might be possible to get a beat-up old Thunder Ia off Ebay & pull the pre out of it.

14. PJ all day

PJ all day

Sep 29, 2008
    well i was thinking about the audere pre amp with just a passive tone and the z-mode switch(then add an on off switch later)

15. PJ all day

PJ all day

Sep 29, 2008
    bump

still looking for more options