1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG extended series comparison

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Willem, May 10, 2006.

1. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Hellow

In the neck position I have an EMG 35-P4...

Can anyone please compare the sound of the other three (DC, CS, J) to this one in the neck position? Or just describing the sound of it would be great!:)

... and in the bridge position I have an EMG 35-DC.

Same thing for P4, CS en J in the bridge position.

Advice for good combinations is also welcome.:p

Any input would be appreciated. FYI I do like the P4 but the DC not so much in that configuration.

2. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Anyone?
    I can't believe no-one knows about this thing! I've done a search before and I know there are people with these pickups here, I just didn't find what I wanted to know.
    Can someone please give me some advice about what good combinations I can make with the P in the Neck position! And how it will sound compared to what I have now.
    Thanks a bunch!
    Willem

3. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    bump

4. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I've wondered the same thing...

I've got a Spector loaded with a 35P in the neck pos and a 35J in the bridge pos.

I'd like to know what the others sound like as well.

5. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    I can say that I had the DC in the bridge position, and replaced it with a CS. Result: Much warmer, more pleasant sound, not at all harsh like the DC. I believe the DC is for Musicman/Sweetspot position.

On my bass I have the J in the neck position. Sounds good when soloed for slapping and such.

6. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Thanks azzyrazzy!
    More?

7. bigd4207

bigd4207

Apr 28, 2006
    In the clouds
    Hi, in response to yur question, the Emg DC is a deep kind of grinding boom. The CS from what I hear is very much like both the p4 and the j's. It is the same material and all, but the design of the pickup differs so the p's get you that infamous p-sound and the j's give you a little more punch. I have not personally heard the p's but you already know how it sounds. All the ceramic steel design pickups are good pickups with a lot of tone. Even the passive hz series uses this design and sound awesome as well. The only problem would probably come with a DC series, simply because if you split it and have both pickups on at the same time would probably sound terrible. However, know this, no matter what pickups you use you can only get so much sound out of the bass. The wood it is made of makes a lot of difference, lighter wood more tone and better highs. Heavier wood has deeper lows and good mids. Just because you have one type of wood does not mean you cannot get the sound you want, it's just a matter finding pickups that match up with what you want and what your bass is capable of. Try some different strings too, ernie ball's my brand, bight clean and lots of tone. If I was you I would check out the new EMG TW. It uses a split coil so you can put it in dual coil or single coil mode. I have heard this pickup and honestly, if you can, go for this one. It's amazing, at least on the bass I heard it on.

8. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    I got to bump this one more time.

Can anyone please compare the P4, the J and the CS in the bridge position. Especially when it comes to punch and output volume. Thanks.

9. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    The CS has a warmer tone that the DC. Neither the CS or the DC sound like the P or J...which are EMG versions (a P sound with definite EMG characteristics or a J sound with definite EMG characteristics) of these respective pickups. The CS and DC (or the TW in double coil mode) all have the distint EMG soapbar sound. Of these three, the CS is, like I stated before, warmer, and has a bit more of a traditional feel...not quite as "brittle" as other EMG pickups.

The only production bass that I know of that has used the EMG CS soapbars as stock equipment were the Czech built Dean Improv Selects. These are great basses when you can find one.

Steve aka SMG