1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG, Fender, Bartolini, etc?????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Trykon300, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Trykon300

Trykon300

Mar 6, 2012
    Gentlemen share some advice with me please. I am building a bass on a Jazz body and Pbass neck. I am needing some advice on which pickup system to use. I havnt bought a control panel yet either. EMG JVX series comes with a wiring harness system. I am considering them. I am also considering the Fender Custom Shop 60's pups with a jazz control panel with orange drop capacitor. The other consideration is Bartolini's with the Jazz control panels. You guys have more experience with this than I do. I am a pretty progressive player and do several techniques: finger style, slap, tapping, chording, etc.

I have bolted the pBass neck on my pastorious signature just to test the sound, and loved the vintage sound. My concern with swapping the necks is that I dont want them to get loose over time with all the swapping. Id rather not swap, however I did love the sound!

The JVX's require a battery, and truthfully I never use the actives on my Deluxe, and my fretless is passive only.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Love EMG's, love the Fender high end pickups, too. There's good reasons to get both, but they don't really sound a lot alike. EMG's are cleaner and slightly more compressed and offer infinite tone tweaking, whereas the 60's CS pickups are, well, a little dirtier and less compressed, and they usually just let you turn treble down, although you can use an active preamp with them.