1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG for stingray sound?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tuBass, Nov 14, 2006.

1. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I have a problem...

I love the stingray sound, but where I play I have to use a completely shielded pickup like an EMG.

Which direction should go if I want the ray sound?

the 45DC? 45CS? 45TW? 45J? 45P?

there are many choices, i have two 45dc's now, and I'm not opposed to replacing one or both of them...

2. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    At the risk of stating the obvious, I'd say check out their EMG-MMCS or EMG-MMTW models. They are made specifically for Stingrays. I was told a couple of months ago by EMG's tech support that a 5-string version of these pickups was due out this December. The models above (last I heard) are currently only available in the 4-string versions, but that may have changed by now. I suggest checking out: http://www.emginc.com
    EMG's tech support is really excellent and can answer any other questions regarding these pickups. :)

3. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas

That's the news I was hoping to hear, I did write EMG and asked them about the 5 string version, but no reply yet.
    If I can confirm there is a MM5 in the works, there is not way I'm going to act on anything else.

unless.... the 45CS or 45TW would give the same sound as a MMCS/TW. My bass is already set up for the 45 size, and to change it would be a huge pain....

4. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I heard from EMG today, they did confirm the 5 string MM, but it will january...

5. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    old thread, but I'm going to bump it with more information

I found out that the MM pickups from EMG are no different sonically than the extended series. In other words, a MMCS will sound exactly like a 45CS.

besides, over a year alter and they still have not put a MMCS 5 string model on thier website

So I'm going to ask again.....

If you had a bass that HAD to use EMG pckups, and you wanted to get as close as you could to the stingray sound, what combination would you use?

I'm been told my equal numbers of people that either a 45j or a 45CS in the bridge position would get me closer than a 45DC (which is what I have now), but I'd like to narrow it down.

6. treebranch13

treebranch13

Oct 31, 2007
    I doubt that any of them are that sonically different other than singles and doubles.

You could do a set of singles at the MM position and have a switch for singles/series/parallel. Also couple this with a good active EQ so you can change the sound to where you like it.

7. EMG DC - the ONLY option IMO for the Ray tone - had one in two 5 strings over the last 10 years or so - totally copped a Ray vibe at 18 volts - no one believed it until they heard it - especially Stingray players :)
    Compared in to a Ray 5 - very similar - DC punchier and more dynamic IMO - must be at 18volt to REALLY open up. Played it for a cat who owned a '78 Ray - he couldn't believe it. I have also owned Rays in the past, so I have a good frame of refence. I also ran it with NO active EQ - just the pickup.

Only issue (not for me) is it is not as wide as a Ray pickup, so it might look odd - I didn't care/had basses I routed for it exactly. Likely putting one in my new ATK.

CS/TW won't get that sound.

The DC ONLY sounds good in the Ray position - was built for that purpsoe for the first Modulus sweet spot bass....

Jamie

8. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    ok, that's funny, I have two DC's running 18V with no preamp already. i think the sound is good, but it's no ray.

now it's not just one in the sweet spot...I wonder if that makes a huge difference?

hmmm maybe I need a maple fretboard...

9. You have just echoed my point - DC ONLY sound slike a Ray in the sweetspot....I personally dislike it in other spots.

FWIW - I don't find ANY humbuckers NOT in the sweetspot to sound like a Ray.....

But again, YMMV....

Jamie

10. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Inactive

Oct 20, 2004
    My feelings exactly. I had the guys from EMG tell me it was made to be a MM replacement and it is supposed to be installed in the sweetspot... not as a bridge pickup. This was back when it first came out.

I had one on my fretless in the sweetspot and it sounded good there.

11. Mika

Mika Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    If the DC is supposed to be an exact MM replacement, I wonder why the EMG MM-shaped pickups are available in CS and TW but not DC.

12. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    I'm not so sure about calling it an exact MM replacement. However, from what I've read, it was designed for the Stingray position. In any case, I didn't like the DC at all. I found it harsh on top and thin on the bottom. There are other pickups which I would recommend long before EMGs, including Q-Tuner, Delano, Bartolini CB, etc....

13. Wow - exact OPPOSITE of my (and other players I know) experience, but everyone is different. Two caveats for DC for me are (a) 18 volt is a MUST, (b) Ray position only is a MUST.And everyone who dislikes the DC, please let me know if you have a 40DC for sale :)

J

14. It was developed withg Moulus originally SPECIFICALLY for their M-xx sweet spot bass ion the early 90s - they likely spec'd it that way.

J

15. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    I've never tried a DC in the MM position, but have compared them to Lane Poor, Bartolini, and Q-Tuner pickups and found all of the others preferable, particularly the LP and Q. The EMGs sound like cardboard to my ears when compared to a more full range pickup like a LP or Q-Tuner. FWIW, IME 18V didn't improve the tone at all... just gave a little more headroom.

16. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Inactive

Oct 20, 2004
    I sold all mine already! The only EMG's I have left is an old 40-J and 40-P5. The 40-J is the original style with the longer diagonal coil and no quick release connector.

Harsh and lacking bottom. That's right on the money. They didn't sound good in any of my basses except the limba fretless.

Here's a comparison I did when I wound my first prototype low Z pickup. First the DC in roughly the MM position (slightly closer to the bridge). Then my prototype on the same bass in the same position.

You can hear he upper mid peak on the DC, and how it doesn't extend as high or low.