1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG Geezer Butler PJ VS Seymor Duncan Quarter Pounder PJ

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Martimnp, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Martimnp

Martimnp

Jan 10, 2016
    I have a Yamaha TRBX174 and I've been thinking of upgrading the pickups to something better than the stock ones. There are two that catch my eye: EMG Geezer Butler PJ and the Seymor Duncan Quarter Pounder PJ. I was wondering which of these two is the better fit for me. I mainly play fingerstyle and the styles I play are usually rock, blues, metal and pop. Their price is similar, but which of this two do you reccommend?

2. KokaKola

KokaKola

Jan 21, 2015
    Kalamazoo MI
    I've have the Geezer P in one of my basses for about four years now I believe, previously it had the Duncan QP in it. I'd say the GZR is your better bet for the styles you play, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most people here on TB are going to recommend that pickup over the QP. The Duncans are quite hot and have a fairly prominent scoop in the midrange, which often leads to disappearing in a band mix. The GZR is a great classic Precision tone, very balanced across the EQ spectrum and seems to work for just about any application. Plus the quick connect is useful for folks less confident about soldering. Hope this helps!

Martimnp likes this.
  3. Martimnp

Martimnp

Jan 10, 2016
    That's all I needed to know, thanks dude!

4. KokaKola

KokaKola

Jan 21, 2015
    Kalamazoo MI
    Happy to help, let us know how you like it if you end up going that route!