1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG Geezer Butler v Steve Harris v EMG PX v quarter pounder

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DavidWeeks, Dec 25, 2017.

1. DavidWeeks

DavidWeeks

Apr 26, 2017
    Hey guys. I've been reading posts on each one of these pickups... But having a hard time deciding.

My ancient P bass is going to the doctor for a well deserved rest and makeover. I'm going to replace the bridge and upgrade the rather tired electronics. Bear in mind that I've been playing this bass for over thirty years now and it feels absolutely great to me...

However, I've been playing on an ATK and rather enjoying the MM grind of that pick up.

I know a P will never be a MM, but I wonder if you guys can help me choose the hottest/grindiest pickup from the above list (or any I didn't think of).

Btw... No problem if it's an active pickup.

Thanks a lot in advance

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    From your listed pickups I would choose the SPB-4 Steve Harris, but from what you’re describing in your post I would recommend a Dimarzio Model P DP122.

DavidWeeks likes this.
  3. DavidWeeks

DavidWeeks

Apr 26, 2017
    Oh I didn't have that in my list. I'll look into it.

Thanks

4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    DavidWeeks likes this.
  5. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    I'd go with the Nordstrand Power Blade.

I only like my GZR with a preamp, there's a setup out of an 80's Thumb in the parts FS you should consider.
    I've used MEC and HAZ preamps with my GZR to get the effect you want.

Dimarzio is better passive + 250k pots to darken it up a little, and more affordable.

Fralin +5%, SD 1/4lb er, Aguilar Hot, Nordstrand NP4A all are shades of too similar passive to call a definitive winner in my book. Again I'd want a preamp with those to get your grind.

In case of above, I'd throw my EMP P back in with an Aguilar preamp and you get all heat and grind you need.

Lots of options, try them with a Darkglass B7k pedal if going passive.

DavidWeeks likes this.
  6. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    I opened up 4 holes annoyed just like this:

DavidWeeks likes this.
  7. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    DavidWeeks likes this.
  8. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    If you look at the fairly recent posts in the GZR megathread I do a pretty thorough comparison of the GZR and the PX that you might find helpful.

MDBass and DavidWeeks like this.
  9. DavidWeeks

DavidWeeks

Apr 26, 2017
    Crikey... Their description of the sound is more or less exactly what I'm looking for. I have Delano on my Sandberg TT and they are great.
    More food for thought .. the list gets longer :D

ctmullins likes this.
  10. DavidWeeks

DavidWeeks

Apr 26, 2017
    Thanks a lot for the explanations. Was indeed wondering if active was the way to go to get the grind but also thought those on my list would be hot enough to get me there without the faff of a preamp.
    I guess I can go in stages (like... Passive first and then add the pre later if need be)

Cheers man

11. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    EQ is really the question.
    What does the EQ of your preferred grind look like?
    You can find a pickup that will mostly get you there, but either your amp, onboard preamp, DI, etc something is giving you that final shape for the "AHA" sound.

I mentioned an active EMG as a simple solution bc they are so quiet and sterile that they take shaping from Aguilar, MEC, HAZ, Darkglass, all the other usual suspects so well.

It's not frown on scoop, scoop on more scopp giving you this weird compression effect.
    Some scooped rock/grind preamps that worked well with my GZR pjs or active EMG PJs had some really unpleasant interactions with my Bigmans and other MM pickups.

Don't take easy for granted.
    I have more than couple basses sitting in various states of disrepair next to my desk.
    I also had to clear off 3 sets of pickups and 4 onboard preamps bc they were pushing my keyboard to the edge of the desk.
    I had to clear away bass stuff bc they started to crowd the 43" HDR TV I use as a desktop monitor.

Easy can save you some headache and basically another bass worth of spend doing zero.

DavidWeeks likes this.
  12. DD Gunz

DD Gunz

Jun 18, 2015
    California
    I have personal expierence with the GZR and the Quarter Pounder. Of the two, the QP without question is hotter, has more grind, and less midrange. You can obviously add mids to taste.

The GZR is a great pickup, but the QP can get downright nasty and aggressive with the right strings and amp creating the perfect storm for grind.

Also, an original late 70s pickup fits your description. However, these get pricey.

13. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I put an old MFD into a parts bass I built and if I dig in a little bit, it sounds like I have some overdrive going on.

14. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

15. DavidWeeks

DavidWeeks

Apr 26, 2017
    Thanks so much everyone who has contributed so far. I'm pretty sure I'm going to give the Delano pickups a try since I'm so happy with my Sandberg.
    I'm going to record some before clip then have the work done in January (if I can).
    Will update in here. Can't wait!!!

ctmullins likes this.
  16. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    From that list the QP is the hottest, and the GZR has the most grind :thumbsup:

BillMason and mysteryclock like this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021